How many fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

That means 'greater than 4 dH' but it's not as high as the 'greater than 7 dH' band. it took me a while to work it out but there are 4 colour 'patches' and you have to compare the number of purple and the number of greeney blue to the chart. In this case it's 1 purple + 3 greeny blue which is the second level of hardness on the chart.

It just seems a complicated way of doing it.

Thank you @Essjay . So we have soft water, somewhere around 4 to 6 dH. That's all we need to know on that front. And the dimensions tell us that issue. So, I wold say from the original list in post #1 here... rehome the mollies, as you intend, they are not going to make it. The other listed fish are fine in soft water. To the numbers. Tetras and cories are shoaling species, so there must be a group of them. Everyone want numbers, how many in this tank, etc, but the more important aspect is having enough of each species to not cause stress, so the fish are healthy. Most species are better with ten than five or six, there is now scientific evidence for this. The nature of the species also factors in...a more aggressive species needs mor of its own to control the aggression. But numbers really do matter, pre-eminently. If you cannot have a decent number of "x" species, then don't have that species because it is not going to do well long-term.

The cories must have 10-12. Same species or different species here does not matter--one of the very few cases this holds true. So increase the cories to 10, 11, 12, even up to 15 will not hurt anything, and more to the point, the cories will without any question be healthier and less stressed. If this were my tank, I would have 12-15, no fewer.

To the tetras. The Bleeding Hearts are peaceful but a tad feisty, and numbers have a lot to do with this. I would up these to 10 or 11. This should avoid fin nipping, which they can get into without enough of them. The cardinals, I would up these to 11 or 12. This is an interesting tetra; observations in the habitat by one explorer showed that the cardinals were in a general gourp of several hundred in an area. But within this area, they divided up. Where there were branches and chunks of wood in the water, the cardinals remained in groups of six around these. But where there were no such branches, but floating plants, they were in huge groups. The groups of six also joined together with all of them at the first indication of a possible threat. From this, I wold say the 10-12 is more likely to keep them settled, which means less stress which means better health.

The single plec is fine (hope it is a small species?) provided there is one good chunk of wood for grazing.

Thank you @Essjay . So we have soft water, somewhere around 4 to 6 dH. That's all we need to know on that front. And the dimensions tell us that issue. So, I wold say from the original list in post #1 here... rehome the mollies, as you intend, they are not going to make it. The other listed fish are fine in soft water. To the numbers. Tetras and cories are shoaling species, so there must be a group of them. Everyone want numbers, how many in this tank, etc, but the more important aspect is having enough of each species to not cause stress, so the fish are healthy. Most species are better with ten than five or six, there is now scientific evidence for this. The nature of the species also factors in...a more aggressive species needs mor of its own to control the aggression. But numbers really do matter, pre-eminently. If you cannot have a decent number of "x" species, then don't have that species because it is not going to do well long-term.

The cories must have 10-12. Same species or different species here does not matter--one of the very few cases this holds true. So increase the cories to 10, 11, 12, even up to 15 will not hurt anything, and more to the point, the cories will without any question be healthier and less stressed. If this were my tank, I would have 12-15, no fewer.

To the tetras. The Bleeding Hearts are peaceful but a tad feisty, and numbers have a lot to do with this. I would up these to 10 or 11. This should avoid fin nipping, which they can get into without enough of them. The cardinals, I would up these to 11 or 12. This is an interesting tetra; observations in the habitat by one explorer showed that the cardinals were in a general gourp of several hundred in an area. But within this area, they divided up. Where there were branches and chunks of wood in the water, the cardinals remained in groups of six around these. But where there were no such branches, but floating plants, they were in huge groups. The groups of six also joined together with all of them at the first indication of a possible threat. From this, I wold say the 10-12 is more likely to keep them settled, which means less stress which means better health.

The single plec is fine (hope it is a small species?) provided there is one good chunk of wood for grazing.
I’m finding it hard to re home the mollies so I may just have to keep them, so how many other would you say I add of each to not over stock, I have noticed fin nipping with the bh

And the plec is albino bn

And what wood do I need and we’re can I get it

I’m finding it hard to re home the mollies so I may just have to keep them, so how many other would you say I add of each to not over stock, I have noticed fin nipping with the bh

And the plec is albino bn

The numbers for the species in my previous post do not change, regardless of the mollies. I was trying to get across the point that for the Bleeding Hearts to be in good condition and less stressed, they need those numbers, it is absolute. Same holds for the cories and cardinals. Someone posted a related thread earlier today, I'll add the link below. The point we are all making is that we as aquarists must understand the fish's needs and must provide them. I had a group of 12 BH for many years, and never once did I see evidence of fin nipping among themselves, nor among the other fish in the tank. Numbers matter.

The mollies can't be helped. Do you have any aquarists nearby, or fish clubs? Will a store take them gratis?

Bristlenose plecos are in the genus Ancistrus, and they require some driftwood fiber in their diet (though not to the extent of Panaque sp.). To ensure healthy plecos, it is recommended that at least some driftwood be included in the aquascape. I have always had Malaysian Driftwood which some stores carry, or online. Someone from the UK may have info on where to get suitable wood. The chunks are better.

Ok that’s great thanks so if I up my numbers in the other fish I won’t be over stocked for that tank size

As my lfs say that the tank it’s fully stocked

Last edited:
Ok that’s great thanks so if I up my numbers in the other fish I won’t be over stocked for that tank size

As my lfs say that the tank it’s fully stocked

Fully stocked at just what species/numbers? Once again, the numbers for the fish that I gave previously are minimum and not a problem, with or without the mollies, though I would get rid of them as soon as you can because they will/are weakening and this is not exactly good in any aquarium, to have fish slowly succumbing to death.

Fully stocked at just what species/numbers? Once again, the numbers for the fish that I gave previously are minimum and not a problem, with or without the mollies, though I would get rid of them as soon as you can because they will/are weakening and this is not exactly good in any aquarium, to have fish slowly succumbing to death.
The lfs told me that I was fully stocked with what I have now and not to get any more as that would be to much in the tank

The lfs told me that I was fully stocked with what I have now and not to get any more as that would be to much in the tank

They are wrong. Period. I explained the numbers before. You must give the poor fish what they want.

Couled with this is your maintenance. Water changes, regular and substantial, once a week, 50-60% of the tank volume. Do not over feed. What goes in must come out, and feeding fish twice a day instead of once for example is doubling the load on the biological system. Everything is related, but fish health comes first, and they need groups.

They are wrong. Period. I explained the numbers before. You must give the poor fish what they want.

Couled with this is your maintenance. Water changes, regular and substantial, once a week, 50-60% of the tank volume. Do not over feed. What goes in must come out, and feeding fish twice a day instead of once for example is doubling the load on the biological system. Everything is related, but fish health comes first, and they need groups.
That’s fine I will up the numbers I just wanted to make sure that I wasent over stocking the tank as I’m reading lots of different things about it

That’s fine I will up the numbers I just wanted to make sure that I wasent over stocking the tank as I’m reading lots of different things about it

I know. The amount of misinformation, inaccurate information in this hobby is staggering. Most of what you find online through YouTube and similar is absolute nonsense. I can understand the frustration new aquarists today must feel. When I began in the early 1980's there was no home PC with internet. We had a couple good hobby magazines, with articles contributed by trained biologists and experienced aquarists, and of course a few good books. Now, any half-wit with money can set up a web site and promote himself as expert. The internet has helped us gain knowledge, but it has equally kept us making mistakes and losing fish.

I know. The amount of misinformation, inaccurate information in this hobby is staggering. Most of what you find online through YouTube and similar is absolute nonsense. I can understand the frustration new aquarists today must feel. When I began in the early 1980's there was no home PC with internet. We had a couple good hobby magazines, with articles contributed by trained biologists and experienced aquarists, and of course a few good books. Now, any half-wit with money can set up a web site and promote himself as expert. The internet has helped us gain knowledge, but it has equally kept us making mistakes and losing fish.
Yer I totally agree

What gets me is I know the person from my local fish store and for him to say that I’m fully stocked and mollies would be fine etc if confusing

Yer I totally agree

What gets me is I know the person from my local fish store and for him to say that I’m fully stocked and mollies would be fine etc if confusing

He needs to do research into fish requirements. Most store staff do. I was very lucky when I started out that I had an independent store owned by two hobbyists, and staffed by hobbyists only. All their freshwater fish were imported from the countries where the fish lived. I never had disease issues, the fish were strikingly beautiful. I had incredible tanks back then.

I have just been out and got another 5 bh tetras
They still seems to be chasing each other around but I suspect that is because I have just added them this morning

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back