The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ember04

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Can anyone help me? I am setting up a 7.5-gallon African dwarf frog tank. The tank will be specifically designed around ADF and will have no other tank mate (maybe a snail but that is it). The tank will be planted in a 'jungle' style so very heavily planted and will have lots of driftwood and leaf litter to initial a natural environment. The tank is run on a sun sun 602b canister filter with a spray bar attachment to minimise vibrations and lower flow rate. I have kept African dwarf frogs in the past but only in pairs in larger 20-gallon tanks. How many African dwarf frogs do you think I could put in this size tank? (I know it is small but I am not a beginner I have been keeping fish for 12 years now so I can look after a nano tank). any advice will be so helpful
Thanks

3, they like friends, make sure all of them get food cuz they are slow eaters.

@essjay is another frog friend, our expert no longer roams the forum

thank you HoldenOn I was wondering is there any special needs that an albino African dwarf frog might have

Albino frogs are almost always mis-sold African clawed frogs. If you already have one - or if you want to buy one - check the front feet. If the toes are webbed it's a dwarf; if there's no webbing it's clawed. Also, dwarf frogs' eyes are on the sides of their heads, while clawed frogs' eyes are on the top of their heads.
If you haven't bought it yet, take a magnifying glass when you go shopping to check the front feet as the frogs will be small (juvenile) whichever species.

Clawed frogs get big. They need a tank a good bit bigger than 7.5 gallons. And if you mix them, the clawed frog will end up eating the dwarf frogs.

There is a sticky on dwarf frogs on this forum

I had two dwarf frogs about 10 years ago, the real expert was jenste who helped me a lot with my frogs.

thanks, essjay, my LFS is a very respected store and only stocks dwarf frogs, you are right I have seen many stores sell clawed frogs as albino dwarf frogs or flat out lie to me when I point out the differences features between the two species which is disappointing I just leave these stores and don't go back. The LFS I go to happened to get a few albinos in the order of dwarf frogs and I was wondering if they need any specific accommodations (like lower light or something).

I know nothing about albinos I'm afraid - when I had ADFs there was no such thing as an albino dwarf (they were all ACFs) and they've presumably been developed in the last decade or so.

ok don't worry, out of curiosity do you think I could keep 4 in my size of tank (7.5 gallon or 26 liters) as that is all the stocking that I am going to do (it is a species tank), I have a large canister filter on the tank

My frogs started out in a tank with a betta, but after I caught one clamped to the betta's tail, I set up a small tank I had in the garage. I thought it was 19 litres and jenste told me that was OK for 2, but when I measured it I realised it was only 14 litres, which jenste said was really a bit too small but if that's all I had it was OK as long as I kept an eye on the water conditions.
Based on that, 3 would definitley be OK and 4 should also be OK if, as I was told, you keep an eye on the water.

thank you so much for your help essjay

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back