Lost a froggy today

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lcc86

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Bit of a bummer, I had moved my african dwarf frogs out of my main tank while I used worming medication on my fish as they were showing symptoms. I kept the frogs out much longer than recommended by the manufacturer and did extra water changes to help dilute the meds out once I'd finished treatment.

I put my frogs back in yesterday, three weeks total since last medication dose, and when I went to feed them in the evening one was floating at the top with slight signs of bloating/dropsy and he wouldn't eat. I know dropsy is almost always fatal in ADF's but I lived in hope as he only had a tiny bloat. Couldn't find him this morning but went to the shop to get some benzocaine in case I needed to euthanise him. I've found him still floating at the top, the bloat is completely gone but he's very much dead. Can't have been dead long from the look of him. He'd always been a bit on the skinny side even though I'd made sure he got extra food so I did wonder if there was something wrong with him, but he'd always been active and eager to eat until yesterday.

Now I have 2 ADF's remaining, I know they prefer to be in larger groups but I'm hesitant to get any more after this experience.

Anyway, not much point to this thread, just a bit gutted I lost another frog. One also completely disappeared from the holding tank they were in so I'm two down overall and a bit bummed out!

I'm so sorry to hear that. :-( I was going to move my ADFs into a tank I'd previously medicated after a few months, and ultimately decided not to, because I read somewhere that meds can hang in the substrate for a long while, and I didn't want to tear the whole tank down.

I think I might be inclined to move your remaining froggies back out to their own tank for good, just in case. Hugs to you - that's a rough patch for sure, loosing two in such a short time.

Hopefully all the fish you were medicating are better, at least. And fingers crossed that your remaining ADFs will be fine.

I'm so sorry to hear that. :-( I was going to move my ADFs into a tank I'd previously medicated after a few months, and ultimately decided not to, because I read somewhere that meds can hang in the substrate for a long while, and I didn't want to tear the whole tank down.

I think I might be inclined to move your remaining froggies back out to their own tank for good, just in case. Hugs to you - that's a rough patch for sure, loosing two in such a short time.

Hopefully all the fish you were medicating are better, at least. And fingers crossed that your remaining ADFs will be fine.
Unfortunately I tore down the other tank straight away, and it was only ever designed to be temporary as I don't have room for 3 tanks long-term. I think the frog may have been susceptible as he never gained weight so I do wonder if there was something wrong with him, but it's still rubbish!

ADF's were the one thing I was "good" at, I had two previous ones live to 5ish and one to 7 despite being incredibly ignorant of their needs when I got them, but out of the 5 I got last year I've lost three already, plus two that I added later. Perhaps they were genetically weaker, perhaps poor conditions before I got them, who knows. It's always a knock to the confidence (and love of a hobby) when things go wrong.

Unfortunately I tore down the other tank straight away, and it was only ever designed to be temporary as I don't have room for 3 tanks long-term. I think the frog may have been susceptible as he never gained weight so I do wonder if there was something wrong with him, but it's still rubbish!

ADF's were the one thing I was "good" at, I had two previous ones live to 5ish and one to 7 despite being incredibly ignorant of their needs when I got them, but out of the 5 I got last year I've lost three already, plus two that I added later. Perhaps they were genetically weaker, perhaps poor conditions before I got them, who knows. It's always a knock to the confidence (and love of a hobby) when things go wrong.
I understand that - I have the same issue with Bettas (and yes, I have another one after much hand-wringing about it, but if I can't get this one to live a "normal" lifespan, I may well give up on them).

I lost a couple of ADFs last year as well...one to suspected impaction (due to a specific food, I'm certain, and I'll never feed pellets again), and the other...I have no idea, because he just disappeared one day and I have no idea what happened to him. My current batch seems to be doing very well, knock on wood. I've had two for over a year, and the other three for nearly a year now, so...hopefully they'll be here for a long while.

I do think that ADFs particularly (and bettas too) are suffering from weaker genetics and poor breeding practices overall. Which is sad both for the critters and for those of us who love them and try to give them the best life possible. I'm not sure what the solution for that is, other than trying to source them from responsible breeders (if there is such a thing at the moment).

I do hope your two remaining do well, and that you're eventually able to get a few more. They really are such fun little critters with such personality. :)

Yes I was wondering whether there might be any breeders here in the UK I could try, not sure there is the market for it but I may research it further down the line. For now I'm going to focus on the two I have and ensuring they're healthy! I think they're my favourite aquatic little guys and would love to completely fill a tank with them one day.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back