How Long???

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Just check the silicon. If it's cream or white then that's bad. If it's hard then that's bad.
Good silicon should be clear and firm but squishy.

Just check the silicon. If it's cream or white then that's bad. If it's hard then that's bad.
Good silicon should be clear and firm but squishy.
Whew! Then mine is good!! :D

Aquariums, given reasonable care and not abused will last forever. I used to have a stainless steel framed 20 gallon that leaked but it was sealed with the old style black tar. I scraped it all out and re-did it with modern silicone and all was well. Some of the glass in the Notre Dame Cathedral was hundreds of years old and still good. There's really no reason to bleach anything out. Wash it good with plain water. Nothing sticks to glass. The only fatality I ever had with glass was when I was just a kid. I had the brainstorm to rinse my favorite goldfish bowl with cold water after cleaning it with hot water. The crack was audible.

The only time I bleached my tanks was after I had a terrible columnaris outbreak and I bleached them good then. Probably a cup of bleach in each tank filled with water. Sat about 15 minutes then rinsed good and soaked with Prime. They sat empty for a couple of months but back in business now. So far, so good.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back