How Do I Know When It's Time For My Platy To Give Birth?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

pokegirl1332

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
just a couple questions about my pregnant platy, and again it's my first time with pregnant fish! i keep hearing the ways to tell like they'll be squared off like this kinda \__/ and they'll get the gravid spot but it's still not really easy for a first timer to identify those things, can anyone tell me how far along they think my fish is? and how much longer? how many fry can a platy produce? and any advice? also is there a specific time of day that platys give birth?

also i forgot to mention she never leaves her spot hiding in the plants right near the heater and the pics were taken a few days ago

Attachments

• platy.jpg
    platy.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 265
  • platy new.jpg
    platy new.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 260
  • platy2.jpg
    platy2.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 252
  • platy3.jpg
    platy3.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 265
thanks the pic helps, but is there anyway to tell how much longer? 1 week? 5 days? 2 weeks? at least approximatley?

I really know very little about platties, I'd say yours doesn't look like it will be imminent. Maybe a couple of weeks? I could be totally wrong

Probably two weeks. Eventually it will get to the point where the females are always large and you only realize they are about to drop when they are squared off. Mollies and platies you can assume are always pregnant if you have at least one female and at least one male. 

Most reactions

Back