how do i cycle a new tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

braders

Reaction score
hey, i'm setting up a second tank, bout 15-17 gallon tank. How do i cycle it??? and is it ok too cycle it with gouramis?

I would recommend the fishless cycle mentioned in the link in the last post by Sky042. Good hardy fish to cycle with are zebra danios, to borrow someone elses phrase ...these fish could survive in a tank full of gravy. Also platies are very hardy as well. You can use gouramis to cycle as they have the ability to breathe at the surface if things get out of hand in the tank,but they may not be the best fish to use as some of them are delicate and may get sick through the process. HTH :)

If you absolutely must do a cycle with fish....i suggest danios or platy's both are much hardier than guorami's.

But as recommended I would be patient and go with the fishless cycle

After reading that article, I'd like to add to the posted question - is it not necessary for the aquarium to run with the filter/heater empty for a few days before adding a few danios to start cycling (if one were to choose to do the cycle with the fish)?

If you're going to cycle with fish you do not need to let the tank run empty for long. I recently moved fish from a 5G to a 37G since that tank had a mature filter I didn't worry about cycling it all I had to do was get it filled and up to temp. roughly 6 hours after I filled it I added the fish and he's been happy since then(Though I'd only do that when you KNOW the biological filter is complete.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back