How Can I Have Two Airstones Running Off One Pump?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nessar

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have an enheim pump, with one outlet. I want to run an airstone in one tank, and a small sponge filter in another tank, using the same pump.

I bought a T connector, but only one of them will work at a time. If I block off the air to the sponge filter, the air stone will work fine, but normally just the sponge filter is working.

Any ideas as to what the problem is, and how it could be resolved?

the diaphrams not big enough to power 2 things you need 1 like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/430-LITRE-SUPER-SILENT-AIR-PUMP-AQUARIUM-N-R-/310232066535?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item483b45a9e7#ht_1581wt_911

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/430-LITRE-SUPER-SILENT-AIR-PUMP-AQUARIUM-N-R-/310232066535?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item483b45a9e7#ht_1581wt_911

if the filter is higher than the airstone then no it will not feed air to both but if they are at the same level in the tank they will run fine but also depends on the length between the tanks (amount of air line)

if the filter is higher than the airstone then no it will not feed air to both but if they are at the same level in the tank they will run fine but also depends on the length between the tanks (amount of air line)

Ahh Im guessing thats the problem, my sponge filter is on the tank on the floor, and the air stone is in a tank on a stand, and the amount of piping from the T section to the two is different. So how can I sort this out, any way without buying a new pump? I'd rather not as the sponge filter is only for a hospital tank currently being used for tiny baby apple snails to grow up.

Ahh Im guessing thats the problem, my sponge filter is on the tank on the floor, and the air stone is in a tank on a stand, and the amount of piping from the T section to the two is different. So how can I sort this out, any way without buying a new pump? I'd rather not as the sponge filter is only for a hospital tank currently being used for tiny baby apple snails to grow up.

if the length is not too great between the two try resting the air stone on the bottom of the tank also (if the tank is at the same level)

If you have an adequate air pump, you can simply use a "gang valve" to control air flows to both devices. A gang valve is not at all like a T. It is a device where air goes in one end and you manipulate individual valves to allow some of the air going into it to exit via another path. You connect all of the separate loads to that one gang valve and can control each use individually. I have even used one to run a BBS hatchery and an air operated sponge filter at the same time in two separate tanks. I run as many as 4 or 5 separate air stones in different tanks from the same Rena air pump. It is one of their smaller models that is designed to only be able to power about 4 or 5 air stones. As long as you respect the capacity of your air pump, a gang valve should allow you to control how the air is used among your various uses.

Here's a picture.

gangvalve.jpg

This is a 3-way gang valve, but I'm just using two outlets. The third is closed to prevent air escaping. I have it attached to one side of an old air pump. The other side could have one too but, since it is old, I am using the entire output of that side to run one airstone in the little tank.

Thanks for the picture Inchworm. I didn't have one handy. Most of my gang valves control 4 outlets and are made of brass but they are much like yours in appearance and in how they are used.

I also use a gang valve to run my air stone and filter on my 2.5 gallon. If you know for sure that the air pump is powerful enough to run the 2 things you want to be running then all you need is a gang valve. It allows you to control how much air is going through each air tube and makes it easy to equal them out. In my case, since I have it running an air stone and a filter with a tank with only 1 betta, I made the air stone barely run and have the air mostly pumping the filter for more filtration. When I used a T valve instead of the gang valve my air stone did not run at all. Gang valves are awesome!

Thanks for the picture Inchworm. I didn't have one handy. Most of my gang valves control 4 outlets and are made of brass but they are much like yours in appearance and in how they are used.

The brass ones are the best. I should look online for them but instead I keep buying the cheap ones that the lfs sells. It's like that old saying, "Penny wise and dollar foolish." :blush:

You will never beat me for cheap Inchy. I get mine in packs of 5 or 6 for about $1 or $2 at club auctions.

thank you all, i will be buying a gang valve! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back