Hornwort questions...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

endparenthesis

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Just got some... have a few questions:

1. This thing is shedding like a christmas tree. I'm hoping this comes from acclimating to a new environment? At this rate I'm going to have a bunch of bare stems. My anacharis sorta did this... then grew back nicely.

2. I'm reading that these form roots eventually just to hold themselves in place? Will pushing the bottom into the gravel and leaving it suffice? Or will the roots appear in places I don't expect?

Thanks.

It does that worn out christmas tree -thingy sometimes. And makes a lot of mess, but the branches will propably start growing again.

But you will never get roots because the plant doesn't have any. The root looking ones are actually leaves. And there won't be that much of them either. So it is a hard plant to, uhm, plant. I have usually left them just floating around, but it is possible to get them to stay in the bottom. You just need to be patient and push them deep in the gravel (usually lots of times) or put the ends under a rock or piece of wood.

Information about hornwort in nature: Common Hornwort

Very nice, elgecko. I was going to ask you if you used CO2 for that, but ended up going to your site to find the answer. We have a lot of similar interests... I've always wanted something in the Nepenthes family. :)

I guess I'll keep picking these needles out until something decides to grow. :kana:

endparenthesis,
Thanks for stopping by my site.
Do you collect CP's? I could possible have an extra N. ventrata for trade.

I used to have flytraps and cobra plants and the tiny pitcher plants and such. I don't have any right now. A nepenthes would be great but I don't know enough about them... I'd have to research. I wouldn't have any CPs to trade... that's probably what you were looking for.

endparenthesis,
N. ventrata is a very easy plant to grow. I live in South East PA. I have my Neps growing in a south facing sliding glass door. The humidity drops very low in the winter and this Nep still will put out pitchers.
I have a N. ventrata about 6" high with 3 pitchers on it that I might get rid of. I have 2 more Neps coming this week, and really do not have room for them. It was my 1st cutting attempt on a Nep.
I will post it on the CP forums I visit and if I do not get a trade, maybe we can work something out. If I do get a trade I'll keep you in mind, I've been thinking of taking a few more cuttings of the mother plant soon.
I'll post a picture here sometime tonight, look for a topic in non-fish photos call Carnivorous plant "N. ventrata"

That would be great. And there's always money, if you like trading that sort of thing. :)

I'd want to read up on how to take care of it before taking it in of course. I'm in Northern VA so my weather would be about the same.

Yeah, this is rather off-topic, so we can continue discussing there.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back