Honey gourami eggs in main tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

klc43

Reaction score
My female honey gourami was in a isolation tank for about 3 weeks to heal an injury. When she got out, her man was happy to see her. There was a bubble nest yesterday. It's gone today, but now there appears to be a bunch of eggs in the corner.

Mom, Dad, and pygmy cories are the only fish in the tank, 20 gallons. I unplugged the hang on back filter... what now? Is it more practical to move the fry to the isolation tank if/once they hatch? Will Mom & Dad try to eat them?

I wasn't looking to breed, but I'm also not actively looking to kill them.

Attachments

• 20210329_172204.jpg
    20210329_172204.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 94
I think it's going to be a moot point. Without a bubble nest, he seems to have lost most of the eggs

I think it's going to be a moot point. Without a bubble nest, he seems to have lost most of the eggs
i think they need a bubble nest to keep the eggs from floating off... i dont know how to encourage him to make one, i am not a master at anabantoids

Update: So last night it became clear my male did not have this under control. So every time I saw an egg floating on the other side of the tank, I collected it with a turkey battery and put it in my specimen container.

This morning I have about 50 eggs that have matured so that I can see their tails and spine. A few are even swimming around periodically. My male has also collected about 15 of them in the corner.

I guess I'll let everyone grow for another day, and then transfer to my small isolation tank.

20210330_075641.jpg

20210330_072800.jpg

Meanwhile, these dummies look like they are thinking of trying again.

20210330_072251.jpg

Update: So last night it became clear my male did not have this under control. So every time I saw an egg floating on the other side of the tank, I collected it with a turkey battery and put it in my specimen container.

This morning I have about 50 eggs that have matured so that I can see their tails and spine. A few are even swimming around periodically. My male has also collected about 15 of them in the corner.

I guess I'll let everyone grow for another day, and then transfer to my small isolation tank.

View attachment 133045
View attachment 133046

Meanwhile, these dummies look like they are thinking of trying again.

View attachment 133047
so cute, hope they grow up into beautiful fish like their parents!!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back