Hi I'm new to the forum but have lurked here for over a year

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

April Moloney

Reaction score
Hi Tropical Fish Forum People!

I have been back in the Tropical Fish World for about 3 years. I have three 10 gallon tanks, one 5 gallon, and one 2 gallon that houses a Blind EE Betta who is 3 1/2 years old.They are all cycled, heated, filtered and heavily planted with live plants. One 10 gallon houses, Neon Tetras, Glofish and One half moon Betta. One houses 4 Neon Tetras and a Female Crowntail Betta. The last 10 gallon houses a divided tank with a Veil Tail Betta and a Crown Tail Betta. I have a 5 Gallon with a DT Betta that is over 3 1/2 years old.

I decided to join the group as I am having trouble with a Chinese Algae Eater who is 3 1/2" long that has become aggressive and has killed 2 Female Bettas and 1 Neon Tetra. I feel so bad as I didn't realize that he would become aggressive and get so large. I think I got the wrong fish at the pet store as I had another fish that was never aggressive but it must of have been a Siamese Algae Eater. I feel so bad about the fish I lost as one of them was raised from a fry. She was happily swimming around one day and belly up the next and I couldn't figure it out until I saw the Chinese Algae Eater attack a group of the Tetra then I googled to see if they were aggressive and low and behold they develop a taste for fish slime...

Having said this, I need to rehome him or figure something out. Thanks for reading my post!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Do you have 2 tanks with neon tetras in?
If yes, you should put all the neons together in one tank. Then put another tetra in the other tank.

Call your local petshop and ask them if they will take the algae eater off you. Most shops give a store credit for fish and you can use that to pick up something else. Otocinclus catfish or Siamese algae eaters are generally peaceful :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back