FishionistaB

New Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2020
Messages
49
Reaction score
45
Points
18
Location
63125
Hello all!

I’m excited to be here. I have some experience with basic tanks in the past; betas, guppies, mollies, etc in 40gal or smaller. Nothing this big or beautiful until now. Most recently I deactivated my Facebook account and decided to go all out with a brand new 65gallon deep set up, this being my main source of social media and my new online persona. Follow the journey on Pinterest at https://pin.it/3gXrjns.

Two Sunday’s ago we filled the tank with eco complete and fluval stratum for our substrate and filled the tank with water. We attached an Eheim 2213 and shortly after another Eheim 2217 with a Hydor in-line heater. Fluval LED 36” plant light with Bluetooth capabilities was installed. Several days after we added some different types of Cory catfish. We are currently waiting for our 7# manzanita driftwood to sink. We’ve added a few species of Anubis, crypto, and some java moss. Another shipment of plants is coming Friday to add to the tank. We are beyond excited!!

So far cycling is going ok. There are some trace levels of ammonia and nitrites which is not ideal for the fish but overall the starters seem very happy and we also already have some Nitrates. Tank flow is very high and water is very clear. Plan on continuing to check levels every three days or so, minimal feeding, and not adding any more fish until cycling is complete.

I’m excited to meet you all and discuss our tanks
 

Attachments

  • 68A70DC8-E2D5-4199-AD22-69A970DCEC1E.webp
    68A70DC8-E2D5-4199-AD22-69A970DCEC1E.webp
    128.7 KB · Views: 270
  • 304B0B6A-5FC3-4C44-B48E-ED7513F2D971.webp
    304B0B6A-5FC3-4C44-B48E-ED7513F2D971.webp
    121.5 KB · Views: 256
  • D010D48E-654E-440A-8249-A2C7E7AD123C.webp
    D010D48E-654E-440A-8249-A2C7E7AD123C.webp
    230.1 KB · Views: 262
  • DA10C760-A437-4803-90D2-08A3E538FA8B.webp
    DA10C760-A437-4803-90D2-08A3E538FA8B.webp
    173.1 KB · Views: 253
  • EA24FF42-9AB1-4A2F-A053-4EACF454726E.webp
    EA24FF42-9AB1-4A2F-A053-4EACF454726E.webp
    195.7 KB · Views: 265
  • E8509E00-4362-4BF3-9FB6-E9EF9886AE72.webp
    E8509E00-4362-4BF3-9FB6-E9EF9886AE72.webp
    105.2 KB · Views: 269
  • 7CCC233B-16D6-46F4-BBE6-2836AF7F04BB.webp
    7CCC233B-16D6-46F4-BBE6-2836AF7F04BB.webp
    166.6 KB · Views: 268
  • 3B78FEA5-DB56-445A-80C1-C18FCA6170EE.webp
    3B78FEA5-DB56-445A-80C1-C18FCA6170EE.webp
    212.5 KB · Views: 254
  • 6DD94C09-0F86-4C83-82C3-55B0D757E26C.webp
    6DD94C09-0F86-4C83-82C3-55B0D757E26C.webp
    148.9 KB · Views: 259
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    195.3 KB · Views: 257
Welcome :hi: :fish:with fish in Cycle might it be best to check water levels every day so you can do big water changes when the ammonia & Nitrite are above 0?
 
Welcome :hi: :fish:with fish in Cycle might it be best to check water levels every day so you can do big water changes when the ammonia & Nitrite are above 0?
Thanks for the advice! I wasn’t sure if testing everyday would be too soon to notice any changes or not. Will definitely do that.
 
Thanks for the advice! I wasn’t sure if testing everyday would be too soon to notice any changes or not. Will definitely do that.
I'm by no means experienced it's just that way you can catch any ammonia/nitrite rise early & avoid discomfort for the fish.
 
Here's some useful links. Though I think you have knowledge of cycling it might be helpful.


 
Here's some useful links. Though I think you have knowledge of cycling it might be helpful.


I do have some knowledge but any advice is welcomed :) thank you for the links
 
Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

That driftwood will sink in time... it could take a week, or even three. Some like to glue a rock on the underside, but I don’t like that method.

Defiantly keep us updated!
 
Don't suppose you'd be interested in starting a tank journal on here? I love a good journal :book::fish:
 
You can tie the driftwoods to some rocks with black cable ties to sink them.
Or just place the rocks on top of the driftwoods.
 
I’d be interested in that. I’m a bit new to the site though so I’m unsure how to go about it
You just go to this section of the site, and update the thread as you go along :) It's like a tank build/diary, so people can follow your progress as you're setting up a tank, or even just track your progress with an established tank. It can be great to keep track of your own progress that way too, it's amazing how much a tank can change within a month or two :)

This thread would work well as a journal too, you could always tag a mod and ask them to move it to a journal section if you decide you want to, that's how I started with mine. Started as a question, then turned it into a tank journal thread.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top