Hey Just Showing My Set Up. Will Upload More Soon =)

alexshaw

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey my names alex im new to this site ive started breeding some live bearers thought id show off my breeding tank, Nothing flash just a 60 litre with molly's Guppie's Sword Tail's and platty's.

Have recently got more fish for when i upgrade to a bigger tank. I have a Bristle nose Pleco, Sail fin gold spot pleco, 2 small silver sharks, upside down catfish and an apple snail which eats all my plants lol. Really love watching my apple snail grow cant wait for him and the sharks to be full sized.

I have a tank for the fry that have arived over the last month i have a mixture of over 40 swordtails plattys guppies and platys. Will most likley sell most of them and keep the good looking ones for selective breeding =)

2nd photo is male platty who i had to put in a different tank because he wasnt right in the head and decided to start nipping all my fish and eating them. The only platty ive ever seen do that.

Attachments

• Aquarium Set-up 2 - Copy.jpg
    Aquarium Set-up 2 - Copy.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 220
  • rsz_evil_platty1.jpg
    rsz_evil_platty1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 208
In his intro he mentions a 250 or more. I am not sure if that's liters or gallons though..
Alex, is it liters or gallons? :)

I wanted to make you aware of something.

The silver sharks are also known as bala sharks, and they get big (~14"), active (need 8ft+ tank, some would even say 12ft), and require a school of 6+.
The upside-down catfish, if it is synodontis nigriventris, is a schooling fish that needs to be kept in groups of 6+.

Is your pleco a gold spot or a sailfin pleco? They are two different plecs. If you get a picture someone should able to ID it for you.
They also need rather large tanks, 75g+, and IIRC the sailfin needs wood in their diet so you may want to pick some up to put in your tank.

I hope I didn't come off as rude!

Ninjouzata said:
In his intro he mentions a 250 or more. I am not sure if that's liters or gallons though..
Alex, is it liters or gallons?
smile.png

I wanted to make you aware of something.

The silver sharks are also known as bala sharks, and they get big (~14"), active (need 8ft+ tank, some would even say 12ft), and require a school of 6+.
The upside-down catfish, if it is synodontis nigriventris, is a schooling fish that needs to be kept in groups of 6+.

Is your pleco a gold spot or a sailfin pleco? They are two different plecs. If you get a picture someone should able to ID it for you.
They also need rather large tanks, 75g+, and IIRC the sailfin needs wood in their diet so you may want to pick some up to put in your tank.

I hope I didn't come off as rude!
Seconded completely.

I'll go a bit farther and say you really need to re-evaluate the fish. the bala sharks are not going to work unless you have a giant (and by that I mean hundreds of gallons) tank. Need a large tank for the plec too.

What size are these tanks and how long have they been set up?

Yeah i know how big they get theyre only tiny at the moment. I am upgrading very soon. And yeah i know they need wood i have Drift wood in my tank its just got a bit of java moss growing on it.

I am giving my upside down catfish to my girlfriends brother who has already got 4 of them so he will do better there.
And im talking Litres. The sharks will be sweet in a 250+ litre tank for now. But when they get bigger so wil my tank.

We are not trying to be rude or badger you (okay maybe I'm badgering), just want you to know what you're getting into.
It is really not good practice to buy fish that you don't already have their permanent home ready for. You say you'll upgrade, but sometimes life gets in the way, and then the fish suffer for it :(

In the future for your sharks you are looking at a minimum of 900l, I think.

Glad you're giving the USD cat to your gf's brother. :)

I don't see any wood in your tank picture but obviously you could've added it since taking them. That is why I mentioned the wood though.

Yeah i know ive got like 850 bucks saved and get paid next week so will be looking at some big tanks. obviously 2nd hand for a cheaper deal. This photo is from when i first set it up a while ago  ill upload a new one soon. i made a another post sort of like this one and mentioned the photo is out dated. Forgot to add it to this one.
Thanks for your feed back.

Can't wait to see updated pics :)

My finance degree says to talk. My fish loving says to shut up.

oh... did that post?
tongue2.gif

Most reactions

Back