Herons

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishKeeper

Reaction score
Hi all,

I guess the title says it all - opened the curtains this morning to see a Heron just flying up from beside the ponds. Beautiful! I was absolutely stunned by the sight for a good few minutes and then I thought "What was it doing ..."

It looks like I only have a couple of fish left out of about 17. I'm very upset, these fish are/were pets which I have grown very fond of over the two years since I've had the ponds, what can I do? I would be grateful for any information or answers to the following questions:

Is the Heron going to be back now that it has found the ponds?
I am very reluctant to put up a Heron net as it will detract from the ponds - I think I would favour not restocking rather than this, what else can I do?
Will a model of a Heron help?
If so, how realistic does it need to be, just the right shape or is colouring etc important?
Do Herons stick to early morning hunting - could I cover the ponds overnight maybe and remove during the day?
Are there any fish that are more or less attactive to Herons?
Is there a time of year when this is more like to occur?
Can I do anything with regard to the design of the ponds that may make it harder for the fish to be caught or mean that the ponds are less attractive to Herons?
Is there anything else that I could do that may help?

--
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

:lol: hi yes the heron will return to feed,you can fron any decent pet shop get a net with reasonably small mesh to fit over the tank,you can fit the net if you need to do something to the tank just roll it back,also look around for a plastic or firbre glass owl/hawk place that close by it works,my biggest problem is local seagulls and magpies regards tim fishbie23 s/west uk

This has worked for me -

Tie peices of fishing wire over the width of the pond at 12" intervals keeping the wire taught. Then when the Heron comes along they bump into things they can't even see this upsets them and off they should fly.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back