FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Angiemckgraye

Reaction score
Can anyone help me please. Sorry if question has been asked before.
I bought a new 105 litre tank on Sunday. I have sand as substrate (as want Cory fish once tank is cycled) NO FISH IN THE TANK.
I rinsed sand until the water was clear. Added decorations which were also rinsed.
However I added a piece of bogwood from my other tank that I have (fully cycled) but a cold water one in the hope that I could seed the new tank.
Does it affect the tank if seeding from a cold to tropical?
The water went cloudy after a few hours I haven't been able to test the tank for nitrates or ammonia or nitrites as I've ran out of sticks (and tbh they are a nightmare to read last one I used was yellow (safe) in the middle of the square but the edges were green (danger) ??
I have an api test kit on the way.
Im in no hurry though as there is no fish in the tank :)
I have been adding fish flakes.
Anyway I'm left with cloudy water is this normal?
Do I need to perform water changes daily even if there is no fish or do I just leave it?

Hi there :)

Sorry you haven't had a reply; your post is in the wrong part of the forum, so not many people will have seen it.

I'll move the thread for you and you should get some help soon :)

First, I'd stop using fish food as a source of ammonia. Not a particularly good way of adding ammonia as there is no accurate way of being sure of how much you are adding, and also its messy and can be detrimental to your water parameters.

So a bottle of ammonia would be a much more easier and accurate method all round and dose up to 3ppm as per the cycling article.

Cycling Your First Fresh Water Tank

Cloudy water is a sign of a bacterial bloom, this is pretty normal and its a good sign that things are happening with your tank regarding bacterias that is needed to deal with ammonia and nitrites. The bloom will disapear after a while when the tank settles and becomes a little more established.

I don't think moving the bogwood from the other tank to this one will have too much of an effect. If anything it may help bring in more of the established bacterias you need.

Avoid doing water changes UNLESS you have too much ammonia or nitrite in the tank. Your API test thats coming will be far mroe accurate than those strip dip kits btw.

So do nothing with your tank for now and in meantime do read that article on fishless cycling and try and get a bottle of ammonia which can be obtained in certain hardware stores or easier yet, online, not expensive to get.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thank you for your reply.
Well I seems I was worried for nothing i woke up today and my tank has gone clearer. Well clearer than yesterday.
Ok I'll get some ammonia and stop with the fish food.
Can't wait to get my new test kit and start using it the strips are terrible.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back