Help with my firemouth

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Canthus

Reaction score
i have a awesome firemouth but he always hides :( what can i do to bring him out. His tankmates mates are two oscars and a tertacanthus(my favorite fish) and yes they all live together in peace

Thanks for the help ;)

canthus-what size tank do you have your fish in?if the tank is too small(55g 75g) then most likely he's being bullied IMO. :thumbs:

right now they are in a 29g the oscars aren't very big and from what i have seen they don't bother anyone they keep to themselves the tertacanthus comes out more becuz of the other fish but the firemouth does not :)

canthus-that tank is really only big enuff for the firemouth(not sure about the tetracanthus)but the tank is way too small for oscars of any size really coz they grow so fast and are such messy eaters.

yep oscars are one specific fish that doesnt grow to the size of the tank you may have to get a bigger tank shortly as they will grow real big. i wanted some for my 4 foot tank but was scorned for even having thaught of it. firemouths are fine in a two foot tank imho i had two in a two foot tank with betas and neons and stuff a while ago and they where fine. but i think perhaps yea its the oscars that are the problem here

alright well i don't have anywere to put the oscars now :/ But i have a little time the firemouth is eating and everything and he is not getting beat up so i will figure something out

Thanks for ur help :D

i know what we're tellin you sucks but the fact is a 29g just isn't big enuff for oscars.
is this the other fish you have?
aqua.live.photo.web.jpg

if so then there is more bad news for ya :/ it's a tanganyikan cichlid which comes from hard water(ph over 7.5)if this is the fish you have why not try a 29g tanganyikan tank,most of the tangs don't get much bigger than 4"s

or maybe this is the fish you have
nandopsis_tetracanthus_(joerg_albering).jpg

If you have Nandopsis tetracanthus (the second pic) then you are going to have problems.

When the N. tetracanthus gets larger it will harass the firemouth and quite possibly the oscars as well. They are an aggressive species that do well with others of their kind.

I have a few N. tetracanthus in stock. They are around 2"+ right now and are constantly fighting with each other!!

CM

yup thats the fish mine is about 4 inchs i've had him forever he is my favorite. Well great im just getting myslefd into more and more trouble :( and i know he can be a hellin :grr: i know he is a tang and i what a tang tank really bad but i can't get one no more :no: tangs are my favorite fish well i will figure something out right now everyone is eating and getting along so i have a little time to take action i have the first pic

Ps do tangs always go slow i know calvas grow super slow

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back