help sun coral

this guy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hel please.

I purchased a gorgeus sun coral yesterday:)

but when my mum was placing it in the tank she dropped it :(
would this have damaged the coral severely because it was bloody expensive. I'm soooo worried - my mom has not care for any corals she just plp[[ed it out of the bag and i hit the sand !

Oh and how should I feed it - I attempted to feed it brine shrimp by hand to day - but no luck :(

Please help

Has my mom ruined the only good thing in my tank!

Thanks

Oh and I have palced it quite high up
should I place it below

If it was simply dropped onto the sand whilst in the water then its probably ok and no damage was done but if it fell against the liverock then it might well have some rip damage.

Not much you can do except watch and see if it opens up and then check for damage.

Sun corals are by no means a beginners coral (i dont even keep them :*) ) They require alot of time and energy from their keeper to thrive properly (which is why i dont keep em ;) ). This coral needs no light to live at all as they live deeper in the sea and usually under overhangs. Therefore the location you have it is not going to make it comfortable. Place it deeper down and ot of the light, preferable in a cave or overhang where the light cannot reach it. (this of course may mean you wont get the best voiew of this stunning coral).

To feed it needs special treamment.. You will need to hand feed these corals every few days or they will simply die. Its usually best to feed these corals after the lights go out or just after you have fed the fish as the coral will sense there is food around and open up.

Remember that if the coral is opeen then its highly likely it is hungry, you will usually find this coral is closed most of the time whilst it digests food and opens only for a short time for food (hence another reason why you dont get to see much of this coral). However, this coral does have a good sense of timing, if you feed it the same time every day then you wil find it will open up just before feeding time as if its knows the time. By keeping a strict feeding program its possible to make the coral open up for longer period.
Lots of hard work but if its healthy then its a very rewarding coral.

Feeding brineshrimp etc is ok, mysis is better as it has more nutrition. Feed with a turkey baster when the polyps are open only or it wont get the food. Watch it closely until all th efood is eaten or it will get its food robbed by shrimps and small fish. Keeping the shrimps away is a hard job in its won right :*)

well I put some brine shrim on the coral and under a cave - it didn't take it - Ill try tommorow - more advice would be great

THanks guys

Only atempt to fed it when its polyps are open. if they are open and the brineshrimp touches them then they should eat it.

Not really much luck with feeding them today :(

What is a turkey baster.

And may you give me step to step advice - thanks :)

This is a turkey baster:

38681_turkey_baster_lg.jpg

Anything with a bulb that sucks stuff up can be used.

When I'm feeding my polyps I use a syringe used to give babies medicine - no needle of course.

AH WELL THEN I HAVE ONE!

SO is this ok -

12:OO feed to fish

12:05 : Turn of lights

12: 20 mix brineshrimp with saltwater from tank

then suck it up with a turkey baster and feed to polyps...

If the polyps are open then yes. A good food to entice the polyps open and its also an excellant food for both fish and corals is Cyclopeze

Well ifed it. The polyps atr it but theywere not open too big. They are now closed :(. Is this normal - when is the best time to have them open. And is the fact that my clown fish are treating it like ana anemone closing it

Make a cave for the coral and put it under this. clowns dont like to go in caves usually. if the coral is out in the open then the clowns wil harras it and the coral doesnt like being outin the open anyway.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back