Ammonia and Nitrite levels are within tolerable levels but Nitrate levels are through the roof. Can anyone recommend a quick way to bring these within tolerable levels? Is a 40-50% water change the best bet?
D
since I bought a test kit I've been doing the same as I obviously wasn;t changing enough
I've been clening external and water more regular than beofe wih bigger water changes and I;ve seen a positive change in the readinsg and in the fish themselves
50ppm of nitrAte isnt particularly high unless you have very sensitive fish, like rams for instance, in the tank.
30-40% weekly w/c should keep them to reasonable levels. Have you tested your tap water readings? Some people/places have nitrAtes in the water up to 20-30ppm, I for instance have 20ppm in my tap water.
The filter doesnt really make any difference. NitrAtes rise due to the amount of fish/waste produced, in a lightly stocked tank they wont rise as quickly, however in a heavily stocked they will rise much quicker, more fish = more waste, therefore more ammonia = more nitrIte = the end result of higher nitrAtes.