Help! Need advise for tank idea

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Masquerade1156

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am in need of some advice. I am new to this forum as a member, but have read some helpful threads in the past, so I thought, what better place to ask :)

So, I currently have a 55 us gallon fish tank that currently houses 6 goldfish (1 Common Comet, 1 Sarasa Comet, 1 Shubunkin, 1 Fantail, and 2 Orandas) and 1 Common Trinidad Pleco.

I am looking into upgrading my my tank soon to a 75 us gallon because that is the minimum recommended size for when the Pleco, deemed Solid Snake by my brother, a Metal Gear fan, gets full grown cause he can grow up to about 24 inches or so in length.

My friend and I have recently been getting into designing our fish tanks with themes, with slate, gravel, and freshwater aquarium sand and substrates. Once we get the 75 us gallon tank, I want to do something like this, with Goldfish friendly live plants, and build a structure or 2 with aquarium slate.

Now my question is, about how big of a "cave" would I need for my Pleco to be happy, especially when he gets to bw about his full size? And how would I approach making the structure/ cave for him?

He is naturally shy and likes to hide, and is also nocturnal, so when the lights in the tank are on, we don't see much of him. He is currently about 10 or 11 inches long, and I would estimate about 1 and a half to 2 inches in diameter. I would need something to fit him now, and when he is much bigger..

Any ideas? Anything will be helpful! Thank you in advance!! :)

Here is a somewhat recent photo of my 55 gallon tank

Attachments

• 1104171609b.jpg
    1104171609b.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 352
Now my question is, about how big of a "cave" would I need for my Pleco to be happy
A BN pleco?

About this big.
ruVhMOY.jpg

....and 1 Common Trinidad Pleco.
He is currently about 10 or 11 inches long, and I would estimate about 1 and a half to 2 inches in diameter.

At 250mm x 50 mm the plec is already bigger than those tubes, Nick :)

Ok so add another zero to those dimensions LOL

I'd do like 12x12x4 or 6 high or maybe slightly larger. You could do 24" but then thats half you tank. Doesn't neccesarily have to be fully hidden in cave to be happy.

Thank you guys so much! I'll keep that in mind.. Any ideas on what materials I should use and about how to build it?

You could use slate as long as its heavy enough to stay in place. Otherwise go to a landscaping business that sells flat rock. Or just use what you can find outside. As long as its not disintegrating when scrubbed. Hot water scrub and boil if you want to be really safe. Could also use driftwood or a combination or rocks/wood. Usually store bought wood just because its safer. You don't know what kind of contaminents may leach from random outdoor pieces. Also, you may want to avoid limestone as it raises ph. Or just buy a basic big clay pot or 2.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back