Help! My cories spawned! What do I do??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

If you see some chasing and glass surfing, its a prespawning sign usually.

It would be good to move the ones you know for sure are fertile to another mesh for best chances if you'd like.

I agree. I have no experience with Cory breeding yet but I have always moved other eggs (danio, goldies, white clouds) to their tanks when I found them.

You don't want to here this but you are best to leave the eggs where they are, eggs are very delicate moving them can damage them beyond repair. Also the best food for these guys when they hatch is egg yoke as I have described. I need to post this here as other forum members will read this thread and I don't want them to go down this path. There are easier ways of breeding and raising these fish.

You don't want to here this but you are best to leave the eggs where they are, eggs are very delicate moving them can damage them beyond repair. Also the best food for these guys when they hatch is egg yoke as I have described. I need to post this here as other forum members will read this thread and I don't want them to go down this path. There are easier ways of breeding and raising these fish.
I've seen photo journals of NC raising cory fry this way, with lots of healthy babies.

I've never even seen your tanks. You don't share a lot of evidence showing your ways working, you just dictate that your ways are the only ways, and that everyone else is wrong.

Plus you go on about egg yolk, but also about replicating nature. Fry aren't eating egg yolk in the wild either.

Egg yolk should only be used as an emergency food source. It should be temporary for if a live culture has failed, for example, and not the main food source

Any eggs I havent removed in my planted 52 gallon, that only has 12 adult peppered corydoras, get eaten. I can't see how I'd raise fry without either removing the eggs or the adults.
I have fed with your egg yoke method @itiwhetu and I'm certain its done wonders in their first week!

Any eggs I havent removed in my planted 52 gallon, that only has 12 adult peppered corydoras, get eaten. I can't see how I'd raise fry without either removing the eggs or the adults.
I have fed with your egg yoke method @itiwhetu and I'm certain its done wonders in their first week!
Glad the yolk worked for you! Did you just put tiny amounts in at a time? Where did you get muslin cloth from? How often have you needed to water change?

Glad the yolk worked for you! Did you just put tiny amounts in at a time? Where did you get muslin cloth from? How often have you needed to water change?
Well my lad loves boiled eggs, but only the white haha. Also, due to having kids, theres still a stockpile of muslin cloths. Its probably only a qtr of the yolk (very hard boiled) that i wrap in the cloth. Then dip it in the breeder box/net and squeeze it slightly so the water goes milky. The adults swim up and congregate around the netting and feed on what leaks out haha. I've done one water change up to now :look: just keeping to my weekly schedule really

If you see some chasing and glass surfing, its a prespawning sign usually.

It would be good to move the ones you know for sure are fertile to another mesh for best chances if you'd like.
Today they're being lazy and mostly just sitting around, lol. Maybe when the tank lights go out. They're just waiting for me to turn the tank lights out before they turn on the Barry White

Well my lad loves boiled eggs, but only the white haha. Also, due to having kids, theres still a stockpile of muslin cloths. Its probably only a qtr of the yolk (very hard boiled) that i wrap in the cloth. Then dip it in the breeder box/net and squeeze it slightly so the water goes milky. The adults swim up and congregate around the netting and feed on what leaks out haha. I've done one water change up to now :look: just keeping to my weekly schedule really
Ah, I figured you probably had the cloths left over from kidlets. Muslin cloth is weirdly expensive on Amazon! Will see if I can find some cheaper when I go out tomorrow.

I'll have some other fry foods anyway, but I'd like to try the egg yolk at some point. Thank you!

Ah, I figured you probably had the cloths left over from kidlets. Muslin cloth is weirdly expensive on Amazon! Will see if I can find some cheaper when I go out tomorrow.

I'll have some other fry foods anyway, but I'd like to try the egg yolk at some point. Thank you!
To be honest, an old sock would do the trick.. any bit of cotton. I think it's done the trick for the 1st week. I've got some fry food but I think even that was too big. Making the water milky with the yolk sort of forces them to eat really.

To be honest, an old sock would do the trick.. any bit of cotton. I think it's done the trick for the 1st week. I've got some fry food but I think even that was too big. Making the water milky with the yolk sort of forces them to eat really.
I'm sure the guppy fry would polish off any that escapes the net too.

Weekly water changes are probably fine for your tank, with it being such a large and lightly stocked tank :)

Most reactions

trending

Back