Help! My cories spawned! What do I do??

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I've got zero experience with corries but deductive reasoning and logic would tell me add more plants, figure out food for the fry, make sure that the eggs aren't eaten, turn filter down so the babies don't get sucked in. :)

I've got zero experience with corries but deductive reasoning and logic would tell me add more plants, figure out food for the fry, make sure that the eggs aren't eaten, turn filter down so the babies don't get sucked in. :)
Makes sense! It's a double sponge filter on this tank, so that part is covered at least :D I'll try adding more plant trimmings to the tank, problem is, it's a Lovefish Vantage tank with a light in the lid, and the light looks pretty rubbish to me, even the frogbit I added is struggling in there, I have to remove a load of leaves most days. I've added some l.sessilifloa trimmings, will see if they take.

I have Hikari First bites and have some liquifry on the way too, plus a starter culture for microworms, so hsould be all set for food, if they hatch! Fingers crossed that some hatch :D

New airpump and air stone should arrive tomorrow, have also ordered a turkey baster and alder cones. Even if alder cones etc arrive too late for this batch, my shrimp and maybe otos will enjoy some alder cones, and I can use them for the next spawn too.

Makes sense! It's a double sponge filter on this tank, so that part is covered at least :D I'll try adding more plant trimmings to the tank, problem is, it's a Lovefish Vantage tank with a light in the lid, and the light looks pretty rubbish to me, even the frogbit I added is struggling in there, I have to remove a load of leaves most days. I've added some l.sessilifloa trimmings, will see if they take.

I have Hikari First bites and have some liquifry on the way too, plus a starter culture for microworms, so hsould be all set for food, if they hatch! Fingers crossed that some hatch :D

New airpump and air stone should arrive tomorrow, have also ordered a turkey baster and alder cones. Even if alder cones etc arrive too late for this batch, my shrimp and maybe otos will enjoy some alder cones, and I can use them for the next spawn too.

This is so interesting to me! Can you see any little eyes yet? How long before hatching should occur. Please keep us up to date. Best of luck. :)

Removed a load more fungused eggs earlier, and the rest don't look like very developed to me, don't think any of these will be hatching :(

This is so interesting to me! Can you see any little eyes yet? How long before hatching should occur. Please keep us up to date. Best of luck. :)
Since NC says bronzes usually take three days for her, they should be hatching late tonight/early tomorrow, but I really don't think they've developed :( They don't look close to being the dark colour with developing spots NC showed in photos of eggs that are close to hatching. Will try to take photos of the remaining 30 or so eggs when I check them again later, but feeling very doubtful now.

Lessons learned for next attempt though. Will have equipment/alder cones and things, and if they spawn again, I'll try to place the eggs individually, spread out from each other, so if one gets fungus, it doesn't take out all the others it's stuck to again. Easier said than done I'm sure, but I'd rather have a dozen cups pinned to the side of the tank with a few eggs in each I can monitor in future.

This is why I love egg layers and breeding them. There’s a challenge and knowledge involved. We fail but then, When we get that first set of wrigglers it makes it all worth it. Much more satisfying than watching live bearers pop out a fully developed fry, in my opinion. Still keeping my fingers crossed for you. If it doesn’t happen this time, then keep trying. You will have your day. :)

First rounds are often practice runs, especially for younger parents.

You will get more chances.

Not only that, but your eggs may take longer to hatch. Ive got some variation even in some species that hatched sooner than others, sometimes its a little later.

This is why I love egg layers and breeding them. There’s a challenge and knowledge involved. We fail but then, When we get that first set of wrigglers it makes it all worth it. Much more satisfying than watching live bearers pop out a fully developed fry, in my opinion. Still keeping my fingers crossed for you. If it doesn’t happen this time, then keep trying. You will have your day. :)
First rounds are often practice runs, especially for younger parents.

You will get more chances.

Not only that, but your eggs may take longer to hatch. Ive got some variation even in some species that hatched sooner than others, sometimes its a little later.
Thank you both :) Yeah, it would have been incredibly lucky to get any hatch when it's the first time, I've never done this before, and it was so unexpected. @mbsqw1d made it look easy ;):lol:

I still enjoy having livebearer fry, but you're right @Deanasue that there's no challenge involved there, just add fish to water and watch!

Will keep trying, if these don't hatch, I'll do some cooler water changes and try to get them to spawn again.

In fact, @NCaquatics , does this girl look like she might be filling up with eggs to you? She's looking chonkier than normal, for sure!
DSCF4258.JPG
DSCF4266.JPG
DSCF4243.JPG

Sorry for super blurry, but look how high shes sitting on the sand! CHONK.
DSCF4223.JPG

The eggs, took these just now :(
One did look quite dark, but it was fungused :(

There are two or three at the back here that look darker than the others to me, but still, I dunno...
DSCF4279.JPG
DSCF4277.JPG
DSCF4274.JPG
DSCF4273.JPG
DSCF4271.JPG
DSCF4268.JPG

Attachments

• 20201012_180636.jpg
    20201012_180636.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 81
The dark tan eggs look good, just may take the full 5 days.
Fingers crossed then! Thank you! Should I remove all but those ones? So the others don't turn bad? Or put those in a different drawstring bag, to be on the safe side?

Also, think that cory girl might be getting ready to spawn again?

Most reactions

Back