Help! Male Sword Tail From Walmart Not Moving For Hours At A Time

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GuppyTime12

Reaction score
Hello. i purchased a male swordtail from walmart. he is living in a 10 gallon with lots of other fish. for some reason, he always hides either in front of or behind a large lava rock, or near the top by the filter and he just sits there for hours, wiggling. ive had him for about a week and a half. he eats normally. is he healthy and normal, or is he sick or dying. please help!
sad2.gif

What other fish is he in with?
He might still be adjusting to the new tank, does he seem skittish at all?

are you doing water changes?
how many other fish do you have in the tank?
how long have you had the tank?
have you cycled the tank? if so what did you do and for how long?
did you drip him into the tank or just throw him in?

I think you didnt acclimate him. A big problem when your fish are new

1. hes with, mollies, guppies and a female sword tail
2. yes, 13 (way overstocked i know), ive had it for about a month, yes i cycled it with some bacteria from my friends filter for about an hour, and i dripped him into the tank.
3. im pretty sure i acclimated him pretty well. we floated the bag, adding small amounts of tank water to the bag for about 10 minutes or so.

(if it helps, he was in the bag with a guppy and a molly as well and they are all just fine)

sorry we didnt cycle it for an hour, i meant one week. sorry

Could just be bad stock? He isn't underweight or over weight do you think? Do you see him poop?

GuppyTime12 said:
yes ive seen him poop. he seems pretty healthy

Normal brown colour? Not white or anything? :p

i just saw him eat, but he just waits for the food to float down, instead of going to the surface like the other fish, so i have to put in extra food.

Your swordtail is just lazy. Its normal behavior for male swordies

DerpPH said:
Your swordtail is just lazy. Its normal behavior for male swordies

Yeah, never heard this one before! Male humans maybe, male fish? Ehh.. Why are they this way if it's typical behaviour for Swordtails?

Most reactions

Back