Help identifying this aquarium wood.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TamarackTTC

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the site and enjoyed reading all your posts. I used to have a few tanks, but took some time off because I had kids. Now I'm starting a tank again and need some help identifying this wood I bought. If you have time please let me know what you think.

Thanks for your help!

IMG_3222.JPG
IMG_3224.JPG

I've been told it's bogwood, mopani wood, and malaysian wood by separate people. What's the verdict? Thanks

The very dark brown suggests Malaysian Driftwood, but I agree that whatever it is it should be perfectly safe. If it sinks when put in water it is Malaysian, as that is the only commercial aquarium wood I know of that sinks without being waterlogged over time.

This leaves me with a dilemma because it is either bogwood, malaysian wood, or mopani wood. All 3 of these are different and I would like to theme my tank (fish, plants, rocks, etc.) around this wood. What do ya'll think would be best to theme my tank with this wood? African, Asian, or wherever the bogwood comes from?

I would say whatever you seem fit.Wood can do many things to help or break an aquascape.Just play around with it and see what you like.

What do ya'll think would be best to theme my tank with this wood? African, Asian, or wherever the bogwood comes from?

That will depend on the answers you provide to the following questions.

How big is the tank?
What sort of filtration has it got.
You water, Do you know if its soft or hard? If you do not know you can look it up on your suppliers web site.

If your water is soft for example it would be best to go with an Asian type theme and stocking the tank with fish that thrive in soft water.

PS
I prefer the wild jungle look, low light low tech heavy on the tannins.

This leaves me with a dilemma because it is either bogwood, malaysian wood, or mopani wood. All 3 of these are different and I would like to theme my tank (fish, plants, rocks, etc.) around this wood. What do ya'll think would be best to theme my tank with this wood? African, Asian, or wherever the bogwood comes from?

If I read this correctly, you are thinking of using the wood in a biotope aquascape where everything is natural to a specific habitat? While this can be interesting, I would myself not fuss over where the wood comes from. It is good to have only the one type, as this makes the space visibly larger than using different types of wood (same holds for rock). I have all Malaysian Driftwood in my tanks, which are primarily South American, a couple SE Asian, and one more a mix of Africa, Asia and SA. The wood looks good in whichever.

That will depend on the answers you provide to the following questions.

How big is the tank?
What sort of filtration has it got.
You water, Do you know if its soft or hard? If you do not know you can look it up on your suppliers web site.

If your water is soft for example it would be best to go with an Asian type theme and stocking the tank with fish that thrive in soft water.

PS
I prefer the wild jungle look, low light low tech heavy on the tannins.

I have a 55g long with a coralife T5HO double bulb overhead light, a fluval 305 and my city water is definitely on the harder side. I would like to find African tetras, but also be able to have fish and plants that do ok with the HO lighting and the wood.

I'm totally new to this, but I'm some what obsessive and would like to have a theme and strive to have a very nice scape. I know it is a lot to try for, but that's why I'm here trying to plan it all out and get help from you guys before I add any water, plants, or fish.

Any more suggestions would be awesome and the help is much appreciated !!!

If I read this correctly, you are thinking of using the wood in a biotope aquascape where everything is natural to a specific habitat? While this can be interesting, I would myself not fuss over where the wood comes from. It is good to have only the one type, as this makes the space visibly larger than using different types of wood (same holds for rock). I have all Malaysian Driftwood in my tanks, which are primarily South American, a couple SE Asian, and one more a mix of Africa, Asia and SA. The wood looks good in whichever.

Thanks so much. Can you lead me in a direction of what type of plants and "smaller fish like tetras" that work well in an African theme? If you don't mind reading the post I replied to above I listed my tank specs. Thanks for your continued discussion about this!

I'd say Maylasian Driftwood, just because of its dark color. If it was a bit lighter, I'd say its Mopani

What ever type of wood you have they are some very nice pieces, much better than anything I have seen at any of the LFS. I hope you will keep us updated on your progress. I just finished my planted 55 gallon tall tank but I put a large castle in the middle. :rolleyes:

Driftwood is crazy expensive at my LFS. A small piece (maybe 1-1/2 in. long) is $25.99. A big piece is around $40, its insane.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back