Help identifying cichlids and tank size

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OMG I am so jealous!!! Definitely use that guy if you can - I hadn't even made the connection...

I like that 280 miles isnt 'too far' for you its twice the width of the UK! But I reckon definitely worth the trip.
Oh don't get me wrong, as a Dane 280miles is a long distance, but I thought you were American in which case 280 miles is not too bad, haha. But there is a train directly to the city he lives in from Malmo, which is also connected with train to Copenhagen, or the highway in car. Both options are like 4hours.

Edit: And he seems to have all the ones we've talked about in stock.

Oh don't get me wrong, as a Dane 280miles is a long distance, but I thought you were American in which case 280 miles is not too bad, haha. But there is a train directly to the city he lives in from Malmo, which is also connected with train to Copenhagen, or the highway in car. Both options are like 4hours.

Edit: And he seems to have all the ones we've talked about in stock.
I imagine it will be a beautiful journey either way as well! I once got a fish from a store in London which is a similar distance and did that on the train.

His stock list looks brilliant and some species and strains I’ve not heard of. I’d go with a plan but be prepared to have your mind changed when you get there haha

I imagine it will be a beautiful journey either way as well! I once got a fish from a store in London which is a similar distance and did that on the train.

His stock list looks brilliant and some species and strains I’ve not heard of. I’d go with a plan but be prepared to have your mind changed when you get there haha

I know exactly what you mean, you have a set idea and when you come and see all big beautiful selection you second guess yourself, and want more or different fish.

However I do think the selection we came up with so far is gonna look pretty nice :thumbs:

Collage Maker-05-Oct-2023-08-21-PM-1294.jpg

But damn, now I'm getting in doubt again and thinking that maybe the stribes on the Melanochromis Maingaino will make it too confusing.. maybe it's better to keep 8/2 Acei Ngara and then just have the two smaller slots of white labs and the Metriaclima Estherae as the two contrast packs to supplement the black Aceis.... hmmm decissions decissions! :dunno:

Edit: However blue and orange and typically a great combination and the white and black is a great combination. It might not be bad after all.

Last edited:
Yeah sometimes you see a fish in person and its either not as good or much better than the pictures - sometimes pictures are just breeding dress etc.

The four you've put there look awesome I love the Estheraes that have the blue dorsals, they get blue tips to their scales as well which just looks crazy on an orange fish. If you are not sure on the Maingaino you could swap them for Chindongo Socolofi as you don't have any Chindongos in here anymore and that would give you a solid pale blue against the other solid colour species rather than the stripes. There is a slim chance you could have problems with a powder blue and the white labs but probably ok.

Don't do 2 'slots' of 1 species as you will end up with 2 males and really need 3 or more to spread out aggression.

Yeah sometimes you see a fish in person and its either not as good or much better than the pictures - sometimes pictures are just breeding dress etc.

The four you've put there look awesome I love the Estheraes that have the blue dorsals, they get blue tips to their scales as well which just looks crazy on an orange fish. If you are not sure on the Maingaino you could swap them for Chindongo Socolofi as you don't have any Chindongos in here anymore and that would give you a solid pale blue against the other solid colour species rather than the stripes. There is a slim chance you could have problems with a powder blue and the white labs but probably ok.

Don't do 2 'slots' of 1 species as you will end up with 2 males and really need 3 or more to spread out aggression.
So you wouldn't do the numbers I listed previously with 2male/8female Maingaino?

So you wouldn't do the numbers I listed previously with 2male/8female Maingaino?
No from what I know if you put 2 males of the same species in a tank you will probably end up with 1... you need at least 3 males in a tank so you could do 3 males of 1 species and 1 male of another with the relevant number of females but I wouldn't do 1,1,2 or 2,2 - 1,3 or 1,1,1,1 :)

Wills

@Wills I just ordered my RockZolid Timor background, you can see a video of it here:
and will start working on the design and rockscape during next week. I think I will try and make a little diary of sorts here on the forum, and post some photos on how the design will progress, my thoughts and so on.

Have you seen this video by the way
That MUST be the most insane cichlid farm ever... absolutely insanity!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back