Help ID algae? Bacteria?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

moonmist

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My tank has been cycling for a little over 2 weeks now (only plants) and Iā€™ve been noticing some VERY tiny brownish almost red dots everywhere like on the glass and especially on my Monte Carlo plants, itā€™s extremely light and you canā€™t really see it unless youā€™ve got your face right up to the glass, but can anyone tell me what it might be and if itā€™s good or bad? I did my best to get some pics but eyesight is always better lol and if itā€™s any help, my ph is about 6.5-7, nitrite 0 nitrate <20ppm ammonia 0

Attachments

• IMG_8989.jpeg
    IMG_8989.jpeg
    366.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8987.jpeg
    IMG_8987.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8986.jpeg
    IMG_8986.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 27
I can't see much of anything, certainly not cyanobacter. Maybe algae, or a nutrient deficiency. Do the marks rub off with your fingertips?

I can't see what you're referring to but my assumption is Diatoms? They usually appear in brand new set ups and linger a while, they eventually die off when their food supply is gone

I can't see much of anything, certainly not cyanobacter. Maybe algae, or a nutrient deficiency. Do the marks rub off with your fingertips?
Yes Iā€™ve tried scraping off the spots I see on the glass and it rubs off pretty easily with a scraper. Thanks for your reply :) Iā€™ll keep my eye on it..I think I overdid it on my fertilizer a few days ago because the next morning my water was very cloudy and thatā€™s when I noticed the spots

I can't see what you're referring to but my assumption is Diatoms? They usually appear in brand new set ups and linger a while, they eventually die off when their food supply is gone
Thanks for your reply! That makes sense. Iā€™ve read sooo much about different algaes itā€™s making my head hurt lol

Thanks for your reply! That makes sense. Iā€™ve read sooo much about different algaes itā€™s making my head hurt lol
Yeah there's only about a bazillion šŸ„“ makes my head hurt too! Google Diatoms and see if the pictures look like what you've got going on in your tank

Yes Iā€™ve tried scraping off the spots I see on the glass and it rubs off pretty easily with a scraper. Thanks for your reply :) Iā€™ll keep my eye on it..I think I overdid it on my fertilizer a few days ago because the next morning my water was very cloudy and thatā€™s when I noticed the spots

i was thinking more of the spots on the plant leaves. Algae on the glass is not really a problem beyond suggesting the light may be too much or the maintenance not sufficient. But algae on plant leaves is a very different thing. If this comes off with your fingertips, it is algae, but if not, it is more likely a nutrient issue.

i was thinking more of the spots on the plant leaves. Algae on the glass is not really a problem beyond suggesting the light may be too much or the maintenance not sufficient. But algae on plant leaves is a very different thing. If this comes off with your fingertips, it is algae, but if not, it is more likely a nutrient issue.
I did not think about that! Iā€™ll have to try it on the bigger ones, the Monte Carlo is so small I donā€™t want to uproot them by accident. Thanks for the tip

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back