Help ich need help now

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Webbalex

Reaction score
I have ich in my main tank I got all the fish I wanted and quarantined them for a wile in a small tank to make shire that were healthy well they were so I added them to my main tank and I happend to go to the pet shop and found one little guy I couldn't resist and shire enough my whole tank has ich I have done 75% water changes witch distorted my bacteria and I've lost some fish I don't want to lose any more u have tiger barbs and sharks and live plants need help bought 400 dollars worth of meds can't spend any more plz help I love my fish and do not want to lose any more

What medications have you tried?

Are you following the instructions to the letter? No medication can kill the parasite when it's encysted on the fish, so you need to keep the water medicated for around a week (the actual lifecycle of the parasite is temperature dependent) to catch successive hatchings.

Hi

What sort of fish are they?

When dealing with Ich the first thing you need to do is slowly raise the water temp in the tank to 86 to 87F this speeds up the life cycle of the Ich and prevents it from reproducing and keep it there for 4 days. You should see results in 24 hours No meds needed.

If after 24 to 36 hours you do not see an improvement then you should consider medication.

Byron also adds salt but as I have never needed meds including salt he can guide you there.

Please note
When raising water temperature it is vital to use an air stone to keep the water oxygenated.

Water changes won't affect the bacteria in your tank unless you are cleaning out your filters and washing the substrate, as that's where the majority of the bacteria live.

What medications have you tried?

Are you following the instructions to the letter? No medication can kill the parasite when it's encysted on the fish, so you need to keep the water medicated for around a week (the actual lifecycle of the parasite is temperature dependent) to catch successive hatchings.
I've used. All the tetra products and marineland all in one and I've been treating for 3 weeks now and they keep dyeing

Hi

What sort of fish are they?

When dealing with Ich the first thing you need to do is slowly raise the water temp in the tank to 86 to 87F this speeds up the life cycle of the Ich and prevents it from reproducing and keep it there for 4 days. You should see results in 24 hours No meds needed.

If after 24 to 36 hours you do not see an improvement then you should consider medication.

Byron also adds salt but as I have never needed meds including salt he can guide you there.

Please note
When raising water temperature it is vital to use an air stone to keep the water oxygenated.
I've heated it up as much as I can with the heater I have it is about 75 76f I can't. Afford another heater right now I have green tiger barbs and tiger barbs and two rainbow sharks two peper coy cats

Temporary UV technique for ich

This technique is simple: Keep a strong UV (such as 57 watts or more) and water pump in storage, and when you encounter ich then put the UV and water pump in a for a few weeks. When ich is gone, remove the UV and store it again. Has worked for me 5 times in a row, if I start using it as soon as any ich is seen.

These units are not very effective for the treatment of "Ich" because most of the parasites are able to avoid passing through the unit and so are unaffected.

I've heated it up as much as I can with the heater I have it is about 75 76f I can't. Afford another heater right now

You might be able to get the tank temperature up a little more by putting a cover over it (if your tank doesn't have a cover). When water evaporates it carries away get and cools the tank. Use a plastic sheet to cover as much of the top as possible. With an opening only big enough to allow the filter and heater wires through . That might get you to about 80F.

When you do a water change prepare water before hand and use a mix of hot and cold water to get a temperature a little higher than what it is now. You could also heat a bottle of water in the microwave and one it is hot removed and put the screw cap back on. Then place the bottle in the tank. It will act as a second heater for a while. Be sure to carefully monitor the temperature so that you don't overheat the tank. Also increasing the room temperature would help.

If you have some ham sheet or bubble packing material from a package delivery Tape that to the back and side of the tank to reduce heat loss through the class. Even a conventional blanket may help.

The key is to raise the temperature as much as safely possible without harming your fish. When you do the free swimming parasites will hopefully die faster than they can infect the fish.

This technique is simple: Keep a strong UV (such as 57 watts or more) and water pump in storage,

Basically in this approach he removes some water exposes it to UV and then after it has been sterilized by the UV put it back in the tank. He is basically cycling water from the tank to the UV and then back to the tank.

The UV also will kill the free floating parasites in the water. You can buy UV sterilizers from aquarium shops that will go into your tank. it has a small pump to pump water past a UV light and then back into the tank. This should kill most of the parasites in the water in a few hours. That with increased heat should be very effective at killing idk. Unfortunately they cost about as much as a heater.

My canister filters have UV lights built in and when it comes to treating Ich they are useless. If you are going to spend money buy a decent heater.

I agree with NickAu, buy an adjustable heater and get the temp up to the mid/high 80's. Worked for me and didn't mess with the bacteria or anything.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back