Help I Am Going To Throw My Filter Out.

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Joined
Mar 19, 2008
Messages
4,074
Reaction score
8
Points
38
Location
US
I have taken this thing apart before with little problems but this time I can't for the life of me get it to work. I have been fighting with it for 2 hours now. I'm about the throw it out the window. I am so pissed.

Canister is filled everything is conected right. The intake flows but does not seem to flow when pluged in. I hate it I really hate this thing. WHY WHY WHY ME!!!!

Can some one simply tell me how they get thiers to start. I am so mad because I have gotten it to work before why will it not work now. I'm about to cry.

HELP
 
It is like I have NO suction at all. I have it pluged in and it sounds like it should be working but the water is not moving up the out tube.
 
You need to prime it by placing the intake pipe in the water and sucking on the outtake pipe with your mouth until the water fills the cannister and most of the outtake pipe, put your thumb over the end then put the pipe in the aquarium and turn on the filter. I would imagine atm you are running it dry and impellors can't suck air only water so its just free spinning making that annoying grinding/rattling noise.
 
i had that problem with a brand new ehiem 2215. i sucked on the tube to get it all filled with water then plugged in it and it grumbled but it wouldnt pull the water into the tank.

I took it back to the store and he said it was something with the little impeller in the motor. He replaced something or other in the motor and finally it worked.

I eventually got rid of the filter as i couldnt stand how difficult it was to take it apart and clean it. Everytime i had to I would have water spraying everywhere and makea huge mess.

maybe look in the lid/motor and see if it needs to be cleaned. Sometimes slime builds up and causes it to get stuck
 
Well as you only need to clean out the internals of the filter every 3-6 months I don't really see how its that much hassle when the eheim classics will keep running for 15+ years because of their simple and flawless design. Pipes should be changed every month imo just get a spare pair the exact same and swap them around each month. The slime build up in the pipes can dramatically reduce flow but when removed from the water quickly turns into a crispy crust which through manipulating the pipes will easily fall out giving you pipes as good as new.
 
Yeah. I did the sucking thing like it says to do. That did not work. I tried 3 times empty the canister and all the pipes then sucked on the end one the outtake did not keep flowing and the canister did not fill. So all the water is in the canister and in the pipes. It is not running dry it does not make that awfull sound it just dose not want to work.

Should I take the motor apart and clean it? The filter was really dirty.
 
The fing thing Will not work I have tried everything. It will not suck at all. I get the suction going hook it to the canister it pushes the water up the out pipe then i turn on the thing and NOTHING it does not ever suck the water. What the F*&#&*$.... What should I do. It's all full and the thing will not pump the water. OMG . So my fish are going to have to go without a filter tonight. Will they be ok. I have a bubbler I am changing 50% of the water. there are plants in the tank.
 
The fing thing Will not work I have tried everything. It will not suck at all. I get the suction going hook it to the canister it pushes the water up the out pipe then i turn on the thing and NOTHING it does not ever suck the water. What the F*&#&*$.... What should I do. It's all full and the thing will not pump the water. OMG . So my fish are going to have to go without a filter tonight. Will they be ok. I have a bubbler I am changing 50% of the water. there are plants in the tank.

ok make sure the impeller is sited right it might have been knocked out of allignment when doing the filter clean, if you look at the instructions that came with it you will see where its situated if not google the makers they should have the instruction online or in faq's on the model.... i had this problem regularly on a fluval external and it is sooooo fustrating, also some times you will get an air lock so when it is full after a lot of sucking turn it on and give it a little shake if it is an airlock this should release it... hope this works for u

heres the manual link for the eheim 2217
http://www.eheim.de/eheim/pdf/en/anleitung...217_classic.pdf
 
Yeah airlock sounds right.it is like the filter is backfireing. It will push the air bubbles into the out tube and then the water stops filling the canister. How hard I tried rocking it and hitting the top. I got it to the point where it sounds like it's going to work but just does nothing.

I'm going on a 3 day vacation tomarow. If I can't get it to work I'm buying a back up aquaclear filter and just put my filter medium in that. I gave up on it for the night. I spent 4 hours fighting with it.
 
I usually stand mine in a bucket and filled the cannister to the brim with water and then push the filter head on. The displaced water then shoots up the return pipe clearing any airlocks.
 
I usually stand mine in a bucket and filled the cannister to the brim with water and then push the filter head on. The displaced water then shoots up the return pipe clearing any airlocks.
just get a new filter

why? most people dont know how a filter works properly thats all usually,,,,,,you dont buy a new car when battery fails or something else fails...
 
If you can't get it to work then take it to the store you bought it from and get the impellor changed and tested in store.
 
I bought it online. The only store that does maintains on these things is 2 hours away.

I know it has to be something simple I am just over looking. It worked fine till I took it apart to clean it. Oh I am still so mad. I have put it together fine before. I know how it should work.

I'm afraid I have to get a new filter as a back up till I get this one working again.

I need tech support.


Ok I tried this Morning. Here is what I did and what happened.

I cleaned the magnet inside and around the propellor. looked for any blockage I did not see any.

I Empty the tubes and the canister.

Connected it all Leaving it all open.

Sucked on the outlet tube till I heard the water trickle. Keeping the thing unplugged this whole time.

A few moments after I thought it was filing Air goes rushing out of the canister up the intake tube pushing all the water and air back into the tank. So the syphon is no more. I never plugged it in.

What the heck is that about? There might be 2 Centimetres of water left in the bottom of the canister after I empty it.
 
I think its the impellor. try pulling it out and washing it under hot water.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top