Help! Honey Gourami missing?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

yumpo

Reaction score
Hello! I purchased 3 male Honey Gouramis yesterday. They all seemed 100% fine yesterday, no agression in the tank (Theyre in the tank with 2 Khuli Loaches and 6 Neon Tetras, 6 glowlight tetras, and a Zebra Nerite Snail). All swimming normally. Fed them last night and this morning one is completely MISSING? I checked to see if it jumped out, couldn't find it. couldn't find bones in the tank, nothing!

I'm mainly asking to see if there is another fish in the tank that could have killed it? (loaches, tetras, or snail?) or is it more of a possibly that it was sick and the other fish ate it after it died? But, like i said, completely GONE in 12 hours without a trace. I'm shocked

I'm also reading that male Honey Gouramis might fight with each other? I have a 20 gallon tank with plenty of hiding space. Was that not big enough for three?

Thanks in advance!

It might be just hiding somewhere. Get 4 more kuhli loaches as they are schooling fish and you will see more of their behaviour. Its always better to keep 1 gourami if you have a male, two males will be aggressive towards each other and will get territorial too. One male and one female is trouble too, when the female lays her eggs the male will put the eggs in the bubble nest the male built and will chase away the female and/or kill her.
6 Neon Tetras, 6 glowlight tetras, too much of one for a 20 gallon IMO, but it depends on dimensions of the tank.
There is a small possibility the one of the males killed the male and the kuhlis ate the male I believe.
Once again, give away one male and keep only one male per tank and give away the glowlight tetras and get 6 more kuhlis on their place.
All the fish you have mentioned in your post are soft water fish, is your source water (tap) soft? If so, what are the exact numbers? This can be found on your local water provider's page. Everyone has one.

Is your tank a 20g long or a 20g high?

Either way, that is to small for all of your stock.

Do you have any snails/shrimp? The Gourami could have died over night and the “cleanup crew” could have eaten its body. It’s very possible.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back