HELP! Fish advice ASAP!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Emilyruthann7

Reaction score
Iā€™ve attached pictures of my guppies. Is this fin rot or Fish TB? Or something else? What should I do?
I first noticed my guppies getting split tails, and thinking that it was my usually friendly Betta, Dixon, I decided to take him out to see if theyā€™d get better. Dixon never picks on other fish, despite being a Betta. Sure enough, their tails got worse. I sat and watched the fish for a long time and nobody picked on them. It was when I had two of my guppies die within two days when I realized something was wrong. I noticed their fins getting worse and worse so I put them in a quarantine tank this morning, where theyā€™ve been getting even worse. I thought it was fin rot and put in Kanaplex. My sister thought it could be fish TB, which I did a little research on and Iā€™m very worried. Please help me! Iā€™m not sure what it is or what to do.
Info on the rest of the fish in the original tank:
I put Dixon back in, he seems to be doing fine along with the corydoras and tetras I have in the tank. However, I noticed some of the tetras have splits in their tails, but they look happy and healthy aside from that. The corydoras are a bit inactive but still alive.
Before the first two fish died, each of them was struggling to stay at the top of the tank, as if they were gasping for oxygen. So I thought it might be my sponge filter not working correctly, but I was wrong as my guppies in the quarantine tank with a strong filter are still struggling. Please help!
EC49261B-8C72-4D90-A07B-A9345220E0E5.jpeg
25117A5E-15A9-4D4B-AA70-9398C59275FA.jpeg

What other fish do you have with them?
If you could fill out this template please
Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):

Do you have a water test kit? Are you able to get readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

How often do you do water changes, gravel vac, and how large are the water changes?
What size is the tank, and how many of each fish do you have?

What other fish do you have with them?
If you could fill out this template please
Tank size: 10 gallon, EXTREMELY planted
pH: 7.8
ammonia: 0.1 ppm (itā€™s always at 0.1 even after water changes)
nitrite: 0 ppm
nitrate: 9 ppm
kH: i dont test it
gH: i dont test it
tank temp: 77-79 (it changes throughout the day and night)

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):
Beginning: guppies has splits in their tails, other than that they were healthy and swimming around
Middle: staying at the top of the tank, tails getting worse, one of them (Orange and Black tail, female in the picture) had a weird rotting type spot on her tail area, color a little pale but not too much, this is when I moved them to the quarantine tank (5 gallons) which I did a water change on before moving them in

Volume and Frequency of water changes: I do 40%-75% water changes anywhere between 4 days-2 weeks, I keep an eye on my levels and when I notice the levels rising or if the tank looks dirty I do a water change

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: I just added Kanaplex to the 5 gallon, and a little bit to the 10 gallon, thinking it was fin rot.

Tank inhabitants: Itā€™s completely planted, with all sorts of plants, driftwood and a sponge filter. Substrate is a mix of about 80% gravel and 20% sand

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): About a week ago, maybe a little more I added two fish that were the first two to die

Exposure to chemicals: None that I know of (I say this bc I have brothers that make fun of this hobby)

Digital photo (include if possible): hereā€™s the 10 gallon right now so you get an idea of the plants and what the healthier looking fish look like

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 157
Do you have a water test kit? Are you able to get readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

How often do you do water changes, gravel vac, and how large are the water changes?
What size is the tank, and how many of each fish do you have?
I posted most of this info in another reply, but my ammonia is 0.1, which itā€™s always 0.1 even after water changes, my nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 7. Itā€™s a 10 gallon, I do water changes between 3 days-2 weeks depending on my levels and how clean the tank looks, and the water changes are anywhere between 40%-75%. Itā€™s a 10 gallon planted tank with driftwood and a sponge filter, and I had about 6 guppies, a betta, 3 Corydoras, 6 neon tetras and 1 platty. Yes, I know itā€™s overstocked but the fish all had swimming room and my levels were always fine. The highest my nitrates got was 14.

I posted most of this info in another reply, but my ammonia is 0.1, which itā€™s always 0.1 even after water changes, my nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 7. Itā€™s a 10 gallon, I do water changes between 3 days-2 weeks depending on my levels and how clean the tank looks, and the water changes are anywhere between 40%-75%. Itā€™s a 10 gallon planted tank with driftwood and a sponge filter, and I had about 6 guppies, a betta, 3 Corydoras, 6 neon tetras and 1 platty. Yes, I know itā€™s overstocked but the fish all had swimming room and my levels were always fine. The highest my nitrates got was 14.
Guppies probably got stressed and bullied by the betta because of their fins. You are also mixing hard and soft water fish. Do you know your water hardness?

Guppies probably got stressed and bullied by the betta because of their fins. You are also mixing hard and soft water fish. Do you know your water hardness?
I am positive they werenā€™t getting picked on by my Betta. No, I do not know my water hardness either.

Another vote for the betta. Clamped fins suggest they are stressed and the rest of the fish don't appear to be so probably not water quality (but it could be soft water).

Another vote for the betta. Clamped fins suggest they are stressed and the rest of the fish don't appear to be so probably not water quality (but it could be soft water).
Again, I removed the betta from the tank and after I removed him the guppies continued to get worse. Not to mention Iā€™ve sat and watched and Iā€™ve never seen him pick on any of the other fish.

Again, I removed the betta from the tank and after I removed him the guppies continued to get worse. Not to mention Iā€™ve sat and watched and Iā€™ve never seen him pick on any of the other fish.
Tears in fins don't necessarily improve right away, so it could be there was a small dispute that ended in fin tears.

Tears in fins don't necessarily improve right away, so it could be there was a small dispute that ended in fin tears.
Even after I removed the betta their fins got more than twice as worse (Iā€™m sorry for my grammar) within a day. Since this morning when I put them in the quarantine tank, they got noticeably worse

Difficult to pinpoint exactly without knowing the water parameters, particularly the water hardness.

I have a feeling itā€™s more to do with the water hardness and possible the water quality.

But that is a presumptive opinion without actually knowing all the water parameters and what else may be involved.

Guppies are a hard water livebearer species.
They will appear ok for a few weeks, then they may develop fin issues and clamped fins, basically due to the lack of mineral in the water. Then they die pretty fast. Guppies kept in soft water will definitely have a shortened lifespans in soft water, that is pretty much guaranteed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back