HELP! Fish advice ASAP!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Large water changes with tap safe/dechlorinator are good for infections, fin rot and a host of other things.

Good water quality does far more for that than adding chemicals imho. Would not add any medications at this point until you have a better idea of whatā€™s happening.

But certainly water changes and perhaps salt treatment may help in the meantime.

Edit - I see seangee and adorabelle wrote in with the exact same thing while I was typing this! Great minds think alike! :lol:
I talked with my mom and she verified that although she doesnā€™t know the levels, she knows for a fact our well water is hard because she remembers talking about it a few years back. So if the water quality is good, is it likely itā€™s fin rot caused by stress/poor diet?

Is this of any use @essjay

Is this of any use @essjay
Unfortunately I donā€™t think so. I have well water and my town isnā€™t listed on there :/ Thank you!

I hope its not too hard for your corydoras :(. Just keep up with your changes and the fish will recover. In the meantime, try and figure out what could have caused injury to the fins.

I hope its not too hard for your corydoras :(. Just keep up with your changes and the fish will recover. In the meantime, try and figure out what could have caused injury to the fins.
I have my guppies in a separate tank, a 5 gallon! I just added aquarium salt. So right now, there is both KanaPlex treatment and aquarium salt. I will do water changes. The KanaPlex bottle says every 2 days but some of you suggest daily? Should I change the water daily or every two days?

I have my guppies in a separate tank, a 5 gallon! I just added aquarium salt. So right now, there is both KanaPlex treatment and aquarium salt. I will do water changes. The KanaPlex bottle says every 2 days but some of you suggest daily? Should I change the water daily or every two days?
I would probably stick to daily. It'll help keep everything clean and keep your water parameters under control. I've never used KanaPlex, so someone else will be able to tell you if daily changes will reverse the effects of the medication.

UPDATE: one of the guppies, a pink tuxedo, has been sitting at the top of the tank nearly motionless all day. Minutes after adding aquarium salt, he began swimming around and moving. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s just in my head but I have hopes that this will help! Iā€™ve added a few pictures, in case any of you see something I donā€™t. Iā€™ll keep this thread updated throughout the days. If anybody has more advice please let me know! P.s. yes there is a platty in this tank, he was acting sick earlier so I put him in the tank just to be safe!

Attachments

• 6F4343EF-1B4E-432B-85D2-87AF61AFDD28.jpeg
    6F4343EF-1B4E-432B-85D2-87AF61AFDD28.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 52
  • A03790B8-724C-4342-8D18-976E005DED8A.jpeg
    A03790B8-724C-4342-8D18-976E005DED8A.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 8601B45E-ABD2-4FD2-A234-4F12E8EAC44C.jpeg
    8601B45E-ABD2-4FD2-A234-4F12E8EAC44C.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 1116FEC1-591E-4FFC-B900-C5534FA613F4.jpeg
    1116FEC1-591E-4FFC-B900-C5534FA613F4.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 9C29C0FE-C9B7-4FF0-AD0E-417A6168D75F.jpeg
    9C29C0FE-C9B7-4FF0-AD0E-417A6168D75F.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 618F01FB-803B-42C8-8D78-6B45675C839F.jpeg
    618F01FB-803B-42C8-8D78-6B45675C839F.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 64
I would probably stick to daily. It'll help keep everything clean and keep your water parameters under control. I've never used KanaPlex, so someone else will be able to tell you if daily changes will reverse the effects of the medication.
Okay, thank you! If nobody else can tell me I will ask my sister when she gets home. Thank you guys very much for the advice! If you have any more please let me know! Iā€™ll keep you all updated

Is that white stuff poo? That could indicate a parasite, which could be contributing to the problem.

Is that white stuff poo? That could indicate a parasite, which could be contributing to the problem.
If you are talking about the female with the orange and black tail, yes it is. Iā€™m not sure if it was a problem or not so I included the picture. Could that be a sign of fish TB?

I think the female with the red tail looks like she might be carrying worms. Stringy white poop, skinny looking, tail drooping...

Worms wouldn't explain the tails, but think you have more than one thing going on. Is that red tail female one of the new ones?

I think the female with the red tail looks like she might be carrying worms. Stringy white poop, skinny looking, tail drooping...

Worms wouldn't explain the tails, but think you have more than one thing going on. Is that red tail female one of the new ones?
No, she isnā€™t. Both the new ones died - now that the poo was pointed out, I am looking into it and think this all might be Calminaris? Is that how itā€™s spelled? Maybe they got stressed from overcrowding and some of them have fin rot, the orange tailed female has calminaris? Does anybody know much about that and can anybody tell me if Iā€™m close or not right at all?

UPDATE: Columnaris is making a LOT of sense. Many symptoms of it, such as scratching, sitting at the top gasping, refusing to eat and bloody patches are all symptoms that the two fish that died had! Based on my research it can lead to fin rot and progresses very quick. The bacteria is present in all freshwater tanks but only affects fish when their immune systems are low and stressed (this all started after I added two fish, possibly overstocking the tank). Any opinions?

No, she isnā€™t. Both the new ones died - now that the poo was pointed out, I am looking into it and think this all might be Calminaris? Is that how itā€™s spelled? Maybe they got stressed from overcrowding and some of them have fin rot, the orange tailed female has calminaris? Does anybody know much about that and can anybody tell me if Iā€™m close or not right at all?
You're not seeing any lesions of fungal like growths on the fish at all though, are you? Those tend to be the giveaway with columaris.

Worms are pretty common in guppies, most have been bred in fish farms abroad and have been exposed to both round and flat worms.

Just seen your update post: bloody patches? You didn't mention bloody patches before, did you?

For now, I would stick with salt treatment and daily water changes, monitor how they progress, then once this is dealt with, look at worming your stock, and quarantining any new fish before adding them to the main tank.

Also remove any fake plants and decor that has sharp edges, both bettas and guppies are vulnerable to torn fins from plastic plants, which can let bacteria in and lead to secondary infections.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back