April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Fishmom_003

Reaction score
My beloved fish has been sick for about a month now. Ive tried desperately to figure out what is wrong with him and despite all my research I cant figure out whats wrong. He is visable fine scale and fin wise. He isnt constipated. However, he is extremely lethargic. When he does eat, he throws it up. He lays around his tank in all of his favorite places but not in the way he usually does. He is a pretty energetic fish. He used to swim to the front of the tank when I got home and now he just lays around mostly. He lays on the floor sideways sometimes and I think he has died but then he gets up and swims an inch or so and lays back down. Im really upset. Ive tried a few things but they havent helped: Clean tank w conditioner, fresh filter cartridge, a place to hide from tank light, fasting for a day or so then feeding again... His tank tempurature seems fine. What is wrong with my betta??? Anyone experienced w this who could offer some insight? Thank you in advance

I know your betta was already ill but did you keep the old filter media when you changed the filter in order to keep the tank cycled? What are your parameters and what size tank?

Its the same filter, new cartridges. Sorry if Im misunderstanding the question. It is a five gallon tank and the filter is relatively slow flowing so it doenst bother him. (I made sure before I bought it because I know bettas are very sensitive to filters.)

When you say cartridge, are you referring to the filter pad? If so, you should have cut the floss media off old cartridge and stuffed it behind the new media. Otherwise, you probably lost your cycle and your fish could be suffering high ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate which is toxic to the fish. You should never change the filter cartridge unless it is falling apart. I know merchants tell you to do so but that is just to make money. Do you test your water? If so, what are your parameters? How long have you had your betta? Do you know of the nitrogen cycle? I have a strong suspicion that you donā€™t and thatā€™s the problem. If you didnā€™t cycle your tank before adding your betta, he is now suffering the affects of being exposed to toxic water conditions for some time. If this is the case, you need to do a 70% water change immediately to get the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates down. Be sure to use dechlorinated water. Get Seachem Prime to use as your dechlorinator and get an API Test Kit ASAP. The Seachem Prime will bind the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate temporarily to keep them from being toxic to your fish. We can help you get your tank cycled and get your fish feeling better if he hasnā€™t been exposed to the toxic conditions for too long. You will need to do daily water changes of at least 50% after you do this first one of 70%. Do that one now. Please read on the aquarium nitrogen cycle to better understand what is going on. Get back to us quickly. I will be up for a couple more hours and then going to bed but Colin will be up and going soon as he lives in the UK. He will be checking in, Iā€™m sure. He can walk you through water changes and what to do. I will check back also. If you have questions now, let me know as Iā€™m still up.

Last edited:
I have not tested my water, that was going to be my next step. Iā€™m not home right now but will be tomorrow. Ill take my water to be tested in the morning. I wasnt aware of the nitrogen cycle, i greatly appreciate you bringing it to my attention and Ill read up more about it for the future. I never use chlorinated water. Always spring water w betta specfic dechlorinating water conditioner. I have had him for seven months and he only started acting weird a month ago. He was sick for about two weeks before I got the new filter pad/cartridge though. Makes me think it may be more than one issue?

How large is your tank? Definitely get the Prime dechlorinator to bind the toxicities and do the water changes. I have messaged Colin to check on you later.

Thank you! I really appreciate it! It is a five gallon tank. Ill try and upload a picture

Good size! I know this is a lot of information to take in but weā€™ll get you through it. Iā€™m a betta lover myself!

Its okay, I really appreciate it! I try and do a lot of research on my own, and when I first got him I had purchased a one gallon but quickly found out it was too small and did research on five gallons with gentle filters for bettas. I cant upload a picture for some reason but that tank I have is the ā€œTop Fin Imagineā€ 5 gallon And the filter is the one that came with it.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

In an aquarium with a filter you get colonies of good bacteria that help keep the water clean. It takes about 4-6 weeks for these good bacteria to develop and when they have grown to a suitable number, they will keep ammonia and nitrite at 0.

Ammonia is produced by anything that breaks down in water including fish food, fish waste, dead plants, fish, rotting wood, etc. The ammonia levels build up and harm the fish.

After a couple of weeks you get a colony of good bacteria living in the filter and these eat the ammonia and convert it into nitrite. A few weeks after that and you get more good bacteria that eat the nitrite and convert it into nitrate. When the ammonia and nitrite levels have gone up and come back down to 0, the tank and filter is considered cycled. The good bacteria then keeps any ammonia and nitrite at 0 and the fish can live happily ever after.

If you remove/ replace the filter material (pad, cartridge, sponge, etc) you get rid of the good bacteria and there is nothing to eat the ammonia and convert it into nitrite and nitrate. When this happens the ammonia levels build up and poison the fish.

------------------------
If you don't have an ammonia or nitrite test kit, you can take a glass full of tank water to the local pet shop and ask them to test the water for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the test. If they say the water is fine, ask them what the results are in numbers.

You should also get them to test the pH of the water. If the water has a pH above 7.0, any ammonia becomes extremely toxic and will do more damage to the fish.

You can usually find the pH and GH (general hardness) on your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. These are worth knowing. Alternatively, you can by test kits from the pet shop or online and test the water at home. If you do buy test kits, try to get Ammonia (NH3/ NH4); Nitrite (NO2); Nitrate (NO3) & pH. Try to avoid buying test kits from a warm room or if they are near a heat source or in front of a window. Heat damages the chemicals and can ruin the kits pretty quickly.

If you do get test kits, try to buy liquid test kits because they are generally more accurate than dry paper strips. If you can't afford test kits then just get the pet shop to test it for you.

In the mean time do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a couple of weeks. Leave the fish in the tank when you do this. The water change will not harm the filter bacteria or fish and will help dilute anything in the water that is harming the fish.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

If you don't have a gravel cleaner, you can buy a base model like the one in the following link.
https://www.about-goldfish.com/aquarium-cleaning.html

------------------------
When you clean the filter, you should squeeze the filter materials out in a bucket of aquarium water and then put them in the tank. Wash the filter case under tap water until it's clean. Tip any tap water out of the filter case and put the filter materials back in the filter. Fill it with aquarium water and turn it back on.
*NB* Make sure your hands and the filter plug are dry before plugging it in and turning it on.

If you have an external filter like a TopFin or some other filter that sits outside the aquarium, you can put a round sponge on the intake strainer to give it more filtration media. Some internal power filters have a cylindrical sponge with a hole through the center and these sponges usually fit on the intake strainer of external power filters and these help improve filtration.

You can also put small sponges in most filters and these give more filtration area and will last for years, so you don't have to keep replacing filter pads every month. Replacing filter pads is a gimmick from the manufacturers so you keep buying filter pads from them. It does not help the fish or your wallet. Having sponges in a filter will help to hold good bacteria and trap gunk and the sponges can last 10+ years.

If the filter pad/ cartridge has some granules in it, you can cut a small slit in the top of it and pour the granules into the bin. Then squeeze the pad in a bucket of tank water and re-use it. The bucket of dirty tank water can be poured on the garden or lawn.

Power Filters should be cleaned at least once a month and every 2 weeks is better. However, you should not clean the filter for the first 6 weeks otherwise you can wash out the good bacteria before they have established a good foothold. After the 6 week period you can wash the filter media every 2 weeks without any issues.

Summing up, do a 75% water change and gravel clean each day for a couple of weeks.

Get the water tested when you can.

Maybe post a picture or short 20 second video of the fish so we can check it for diseases. But the fish should get better after a few water changes.

Thanks, Colin for stepping in. Bedtime here!

Thank you both for all of your help! Im getting the water tested tomorrow and will be sure to ask for the numbers specifically. Ill get a gravel cleaner while Im there as well. Ive been having trouble uploading pictures onto here but will try again tomorrow. I havent seen anything that stood out to me but you are more experienced and may notice something I have not. Thank you so much for your time!

Set your camera's resolution to its lowest setting and the images will be smaller and should fit on the website.

Use a flash, turn the tank lights on, have the room light on and open the curtain when photographing the fish tank. Cameras need light and the more light on the subject, generally the better the picture.

Betta are pretty simple to care for in comparison to others. Dumb question , But how long have you had your Betta? Some live longer than others, maybe he has just reached his golden years?

One I bought from PetSmart and heā€™s probably Not quite 2 years old. Iā€™ve had him a year. The other came from a breeder and heā€™s about 3 years old. Heā€™s an old man and beginning to show his age. His color has started fading some and his tail is tattered. I have to give him vitamins and really baby him but heā€™s still swimming and eating just fine. I have a feeling the breeder lied about his age and used him for breeding for awhile. Some breeders are not to be trusted.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back