Hello peeps!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :hi:

What are your questions? :)

(Please consider entering the August FOTM contest!) :)

Thanks for the quick reply!!

I have a well cycled 15gal tank with an eclipse 1 hood / light combo. ( I converted the Flourscent tubes to LED a few years back) I originally kept goldfish.. I started with gold fish but they never made it past the summer months when the tank temp would creep into the 80's.. I spoke with my Local fish store and they did water tests and said that the water was good but the goldfish were dirty. I figured on endler and fancy guppies.. Picked up a heater and off i went.

I do regular water changes and filter changes. but I just cant keep these guppies alive. I really only have a max of 5 fish in my 15g tank. they just keep dying off one at a time. :(

I have had multiple water tests and thay all came back clean and good quality water....
Could my eclipse 1 filter be old and not really cleaning the water? Should I upgrade filters?
What fish are easy to care for and hardy? Should i switch from guppies?
My family really love having a colorful tank and I really went to have some good success...

thanks for any input.

I do regular water changes and filter changes. but I just cant keep these guppies alive. I really only have a max of 5 fish in my 15g tank. they just keep dying off one at a time. :(
What do you mean by filter changes. You should not replace your filter media until it literally falls apart. Just rinse it in the water you take out for water changes.

Secondly do you know the hardness of your water. The measurement we are interested in is GH. Your water company should post this info on their website if you don't have a test for it. We need to know the actual number as well as the unit it is measured in. (Unfortunately statements like its moderately hard are not useful). This could be important because guppies and endlers require hard water. If your water supply is soft they will never thrive - but lets understand the situation before proposing a solution.

Guppies are great. An overlooked fish in the hobby IMO. The guppies I see for sale don't look good to me. Inbred? But then I live in a one dog town with little selection. If I was to want some guppies I think I would order from a specialty breeder and ask them some detailed questions about their water and feeding.

Welcome! Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle? Is your tank cycled? I have some goldies and live in Texas. Mine are several years old. I also have a pond outdoors with goldies and it’s over 100F here right now. I don’t believe it was the 80F that killed your goldfish. Something isn’t right. I have a feeling it’s your water quality.

I’ve got to agree with @seangee. I do agree with you as well @Back in the fold, guppies are so overlooked, and so miss treated. The top 3 most mistreated fish in the hobby, are Goldfish, bettas, and guppies in that order. (IMO) ;)

What do you mean by filter changes. You should not replace your filter media until it literally falls apart. Just rinse it in the water you take out for water changes.

Secondly do you know the hardness of your water. The measurement we are interested in is GH. Your water company should post this info on their website if you don't have a test for it.

Welcome! Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle? Is your tank cycled? I have some goldies and live in Texas. Mine are several years old. I also have a pond outdoors with goldies and it’s over 100F here right now. I don’t believe it was the 80F that killed your goldfish. Something isn’t right. I have a feeling it’s your water quality.

Seangee and Deanasue- I do a filter media change (cartridge) change with every water change 1/2 (8-10) gal every 4 months. As far as hardness... Good question... https://themdc.org/assets/uploads/files/Water Quality/2018_Water_Quality_FINAL-WEB.pdf
I see Calcium 4.6 but no value for GH. I will send a request to my local water authority and see what they say.

I also add aquarium salt when I do a full 90% water change.

I would like to stick with guppies but I am concerned that I am not getting quality fish from my LFS.. I stopped going to the bog box stores for my fish a while ago... Here is what I am considering...

• New filter - my eclipse 1 is pretty old. maybe its not doing a good job filtering the water.
  • finding a better source for healthy guppies.
  • get a testing kit so I can identify water problems before they are problems

When you throw away your cartridge you are throwing away your beneficial bacteria. These are what eat your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates which cause toxicity in your tank. So basically you are poisoning your fish, I’m afraid. I know the filter manufacturers tell you to change the filters but this is just to make them money. You don’t need to throw a cartridge away until it is literally falling apart. I have some over a year old. Please read on the nitrogen cycle in fish tanks to better understand all of this. It is crucial in order to successfully keep fish alive. Also, you need to clean your tank and do a 70% water change once a week. Only clean your filter cartridge in tank water as chlorine will kill your beneficial bacteria in the cartridge. Ask questions, please.

Clean water is the key! “When in doubt, water change it out.” ;)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If you have a filter that containers filter pads/ cartridges that need replacing, you can add sponges to it from other brands of filter, and the sponges will hold the beneficial filter bacteria and won't need to be replaced. You can buy sponges for numerous brands of filter (I used AquaClear but there are others too), and cut them with a pair of scissors so they fit inside your filter.

You can also get round/ cylindrical sponges for some brands of internal power filter and these fit over the intake strainer of most external power filters. The sponges get squeezed out in a bucket of tank water and re-used. Sponges will last for many years and only need replacing when they start to fall apart.

With filter pads, you can squeeze them out in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. If they have granules in them, make a small cut in the top of the cartridge and tip the granules out and throw the granules away. Then squeeze out the cartridge and re-use it.

Filters should be cleaned at least once a month, and every 2 weeks is better. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it because you can wash out the beneficial filter bacteria that keeps the water clean.

-------------------------
How often do you do water changes and gravel clean the substrate?
I recommend doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate once a week. If you live in an arid climate or have water restrictions, do it every 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Any chance of a picture of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

Guppies are notorious for having infections when you buy them and should be cleaned up a bit when you get them. They either have protozoan infections or bacterial infections. Both respond well to salt. They also carry intestinal worms and gill flukes, the flukes can be treated with salt and the worms needs to be treated with other things.

You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate will affect some plants. The lower dose rate will not affect plants.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

The following link has information about what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing. I recommend printing it out and reading it in bed to help fall asleep.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

GH is made up of more than calcium, but as that is the majority of GH we can get an idea of whether you have hard or soft water. The level of calcium in your water quality report suggests that you have soft water.

You do need to find out your actual GH, this will give us a much more accurate idea of what may be going on in your tank.

This is all great info thanks!

@Colin_T I normally do a gravel clean with every water change. at least 50% of the water. I will take a few pics of my tank and post them up here.. not too much to report on my lone survivor.

@Deanasue - I will stop tossing my filter media and rinse it out and add fresh carbon. My fiter has a bio-wheel and that is still the original

I do treat my water when I do a change too.

I still need to find a source for quality fish. If the guppy masters :lol: here have any info on where to get some quality fish online that would be great... my LFS has fancy and endler guppies for 4$ (US) per fish... I would be willing to pay at least that much. Next I need to figure out how many guppies my tank can hold. (15gallon)
Again I think I really need to re-think why these guys are slowly dying off.:rip:

GH is made up of more than calcium, but as that is the majority of GH we can get an idea of whether you have hard or soft water. The level of calcium in your water quality report suggests that you have soft water.

You do need to find out your actual GH, this will give us a much more accurate idea of what may be going on in your tank.

Contacting my local water company... today... We will see. :whistle:

Good, they should be able to help find the GH of your water, just makes sure to ask for the GH of water in your area. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back