Introduction - Vasco Gomes

Vasco Gomes

New Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
12
Points
3
Location
Lisbon, Portugal
Hello everyone! My name is Vasco Gomes, from Portugal.

I have a strong interest in all aspects of killifish, from keeping and breeding to studying, collecting, and exploring their natural habitats.

About a year ago, I started The Killifish Collections Project, a personal project dedicated to documenting killifish collecting expeditions, collectors, species, and localities around the world. It has since become where I devote most of my efforts to contributing to and sharing knowledge with the killifish community.

I look forward to learning from you, sharing information, and hopefully contributing to some interesting discussions here!

Vasco
 
Welcome to the forum. It's a pleasure that you started working with The Killifish Collections Project as I just recently discovered that site while researching Rivulus sp. Victoria.
 
I've been on 2trips that I don't think any members have documented - one to Gabon and one to Benin.

But I do follow your FB posts closely. What kind of info do you collect?
 
Thank you for the welcome messages.

Crispii, I hope you found the site useful. Regarding Rivulus sp. Victoria, I think it is from a location I visited in 2021 (originally labeled as Rivulus ribesrubrum and later identified as Rivulus cf. azurescens). If you need any particular information please let me know.

GaryE, I am very interested in your two trips. All info is important but particularly location data (names and coordinates), collected species and photos (biotopes, fishes, explorers, local people and so on).
 
Welcome to the forum, it is a very friendly place.

I am in the UK and am currently spending a lot of time in here at present as the last time I kept any tropical fish was in the 1990's.

I am here trying to update my knowledge of fish, and although I love the look and sound of Killifish, I doubt that I will ever be able to achieve the stable facilities that they need to survive and thrive unless I get an RO unit, or my local fish shop starts to sell RO water.
 
I am here trying to update my knowledge of fish, and although I love the look and sound of Killifish, I doubt that I will ever be able to achieve the stable facilities that they need to survive and thrive unless I get an RO unit, or my local fish shop starts to sell RO water.
You definitely don't need an RO unit to keep most killifish species. Try starting with some of the hardier species—there are several that are not difficult to find in the UK.
 
GaryE, I am very interested in your two trips. All info is important but particularly location data (names and coordinates), collected species and photos (biotopes, fishes, explorers, local people and so on).
Please send me your coordinates via private message, and I'll put something together.
 
Thank you for the welcome messages.

Crispii, I hope you found the site useful. Regarding Rivulus sp. Victoria, I think it is from a location I visited in 2021 (originally labeled as Rivulus ribesrubrum and later identified as Rivulus cf. azurescens). If you need any particular information please let me know.

GaryE, I am very interested in your two trips. All info is important but particularly location data (names and coordinates), collected species and photos (biotopes, fishes, explorers, local people and so on).
I did find the site informative and useful. Have you had any experience working with that undescribed species? There's no information online regarding care and breeding.
 
Well , hi & welcome to our forum, Vasco... :hi:
We can always use a killifish guru overhere...;)
We had our annual international killifish convention in my country again this year.
 
Welcome to you and your killies! I've always had some killies in my charge. Currently, Aphyosemion 'sp. Lobaye'. I only recently phased out Fundulopanchax filamentosus, a colony of which I had going for years. I would love to secure some F. robertsoni and/or F. rubrolabialis (if they are indeed two distinct species.)
 
I did find the site informative and useful. Have you had any experience working with that undescribed species? There's no information online regarding care and breeding.
If it is the population I think (check here - https://killifishcollections.net/codes/cogm-21-21/) I don't believe it is undescribed. Most probably it is Rivulus azurescens.

I did keep and bred them for one generation only, lost them because I only got F1 males (and then neglected the offspring). They are fairly easy to keep, not as easy as Rivulus magdalenae. No particular water requirements other than frequent water changes, temperatures from 22 to 26º, accept all kinds of live foods and frozen brine shrimp. They are large when fully grown so give them space.
 
Well , hi & welcome to our forum, Vasco... :hi:
We can always use a killifish guru overhere...;)
We had our annual international killifish convention in my country again this year.
Hi and thank you for the welcome message, although I hardly qualify as a killifish guru :D. I attended the KFN convention this year, it was very nice to meet a lot of friends there.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top