Introduction - Vasco Gomes

Welcome to you and your killies! I've always had some killies in my charge. Currently, Aphyosemion 'sp. Lobaye'. I only recently phased out Fundulopanchax filamentosus, a colony of which I had going for years. I would love to secure some F. robertsoni and/or F. rubrolabialis (if they are indeed two distinct species.)
Thank you for the welcome message. Fundulopanchax rubrolabialis/robertsoni (possibly the same species and in that case rubrolabialis prevails) are quite difficult to find these days.
 
Hi and thank you for the welcome message, although I hardly qualify as a killifish guru :D. I attended the KFN convention this year, it was very nice to meet a lot of friends there.
We must have missed out on eachother...
 
If it is the population I think (check here - https://killifishcollections.net/codes/cogm-21-21/) I don't believe it is undescribed. Most probably it is Rivulus azurescens.

I did keep and bred them for one generation only, lost them because I only got F1 males (and then neglected the offspring). They are fairly easy to keep, not as easy as Rivulus magdalenae. No particular water requirements other than frequent water changes, temperatures from 22 to 26º, accept all kinds of live foods and frozen brine shrimp. They are large when fully grown so give them space.
I have a pair of them and have found the female being shy, always hiding underneath the sponge filter. The male is mainly visible, but I have never seen him constantly chase the female, unlike my other killifish species. I have collected an egg so far and hopefully they'll produce more soon.
 
I've seen photos of the Portuguese conventions, and they're very impressive. My wife wants to visit Portugal and I've considered our putting together a trip that would allow me to visit and take a couple of days to attend in a future year. However, I don't speak Portuguese - just French and English.

There is no Canadian association, although when there was years ago I was a member. It's very hard to get killies here - the US border is not friendly these days and Canada's killie keeping population is small and dispersed over a vast distance. Most of my killies are descended from ones I brought back from Africa. It's not as simple as going to the aquarium store...

Your project is valuable to the killiekeeping and aquaristic world, and I've been following it on Facebook. It must be offering you a fantastic overview of these many trips people have made to learn more about killies. It seems like an inaccessible, impossible adventure until you do it, and are fishing in a stream. The first African killie I caught was Epiplatys huberi, which I still keep, and the first Aphyosemion was joergenscheeli (a surprise for me) which went to Denmark with a colleague. For now, the fish are out there.
 
I've seen photos of the Portuguese conventions, and they're very impressive. My wife wants to visit Portugal and I've considered our putting together a trip that would allow me to visit and take a couple of days to attend in a future year. However, I don't speak Portuguese - just French and English.

There is no Canadian association, although when there was years ago I was a member. It's very hard to get killies here - the US border is not friendly these days and Canada's killie keeping population is small and dispersed over a vast distance. Most of my killies are descended from ones I brought back from Africa. It's not as simple as going to the aquarium store...

Your project is valuable to the killiekeeping and aquaristic world, and I've been following it on Facebook. It must be offering you a fantastic overview of these many trips people have made to learn more about killies. It seems like an inaccessible, impossible adventure until you do it, and are fishing in a stream. The first African killie I caught was Epiplatys huberi, which I still keep, and the first Aphyosemion was joergenscheeli (a surprise for me) which went to Denmark with a colleague. For now, the fish are out there.
You will be most welcome at one of our conventions. No problem about not speaking portuguese, you will find many people understanding and speaking English and French.

Yes, exploring nature to find killifish is an amazing experience. I also cannot forget the first that I found, a Nothobranchius furzeri in a mud pool in Mozambique, back in 2006. I have been lucky enough to have continued doing it since then.
 
Yes, exploring nature to find killifish is an amazing experience. I also cannot forget the first that I found, a Nothobranchius furzeri in a mud pool in Mozambique, back in 2006. I have been lucky enough to have continued doing it since then
And I have those experiences with observing and collecting livebearers (and some other types of fish that were in the same water) in free nature. Basically, each type of fish that we know from the aquarium hobby is intriguing to see in free nature. You also learn more about them than just out of books.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top