Hard water algae eaters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishBearer9845

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Good morning
Would love your recommendations for hard water (we're taking hardness between 20 and 24 at any one time)
My guppies are thriving and although they do pick at the algae they can't control it - now I know there aren't specific algae eaters per se - but I really do need something that keeps on top of it.
Are there any large snails that can handle hard water (no suggestions for nerites please, they don't seem to like my water - bladder snails on the other hand!!!)
Or are there any suckers that can adapt or tolerate hard waters?
FYI I'm in the UK so apple/mystery snails I believe are banned in the UK.
Many thanks.

They're cool. I'd picked up a couple, thinking snails can't be that complicated, but then did some research after acquiring said snails (don't make that mistake) and learned that they require hard water and a PH near 8. I have none of those things. I posted on a local fish group looking for a new home for them -- of course, got advice about hardening my water, which wasn't useful because I have a bunch of soft water fish -- and found a mollusc enthusiast who was happy to have them.

I had an MTS hitchhiker. But it died. It was in an un-cycled tank with high ammonia.

I bought a red union netrite snail for €4 on Friday and since water change yesterday afternoon it hasn't moved. Not sure if shocked or dead.

I wanted rabbit snail but can't find locally. €10 for one! Not including delivery.

I got my rabbits for about £3 each at an LFS. They're expensive wee things in Ireland.

Of the six nerites I've aquired, I believe three are still alive. I don't think I have the best water for snails. The nerites are more tolerant than rabbits, but I still think it's a bit more acidic than would be ideal.

There's also Plecos. A Bristlenose would be ok in your tank but they poop a lot.

Can plecos handle water that hard?
I like the look of bristles, clowns and bulldog ones.

Might be worth searching the site. I think @mbsqw1d might have had BN in hard water or @essjay. But certainly worth a search.

Might be worth searching the site. I think @mbsqw1d might have had BN in hard water or @essjay. But certainly worth a search.

Not me, couldve been @seangee - he has a 15 year old BN pleco and hardwater. But, he uses RO water, whether or not he uses RO for the BN I'm not sure.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back