GUPPY WHITH BALL LIKE MASS BY RECTUM

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Mackamoora

Reaction score
Hello, Iā€™m freaking out. I have plenty of guppies and they live well, but just tonight I noticed one of my guppies has this ball like thing hanging by their stomach/rectum. Iā€™m freaking out. What is this? What could have caused this? What do I do? PLEASE HELP.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 31
Prolapse intestine. Basically the intestine is sticking out of the fish's butt. This is caused from inbreeding and a lot of dry food (mainly inbreeding). There's no cure and it's a matter of hoping it goes back in by itself.

Feeding the fish with lots of frozen (but defrosted) and or live food can reduce the chance of this happening but doesn't stop it completely.

Okay, thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it. I heard changing some of the water to better the water conditions can help soothe and get it back in. Does it hurt the fish? If it doesnā€™t go away do you think I should euthanize? I just donā€™t want my fish to feel any pain especially if it doesnā€™t get better.

I don't think changing the water can hurt, as long as you do it in a way that doesn't overly stress the fish. I've never dealt with this problem, but I'd give it a week or so and see if it goes back in; if it doesn't then it might be time to end the fish's suffering. That's always a tough decision to make.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back