Guppy prolapse after birth?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Alilly

Reaction score
Hi, iā€™m new so sorry if this is the wrong place to post - i recently got a fish tank for the first time and have had it about 3 weeks. I added the guppies 2 weeks ago and a week ago the female guppy gave birth so must have been pregnant when I got her. She now has what I think is a prolapse or parasite, could anyone tell me how to look after this and make sure the other fish stay okay? I presume I need to quarantine her and treat the water? Completely new to fish keeping so any and all advice welcome, thank you

Attachments

• B4E78A99-CB67-4E8C-9160-E271C55BFADD.jpeg
    B4E78A99-CB67-4E8C-9160-E271C55BFADD.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 1,262
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Unfortunately some livebearers do push their intestine out when they give birth. There is not much you can do and the problem either resolves itself within a day or two, or the fish dies.

There are no medications to use for this problem.

The problem is more common now than 20 years ago and is caused by inbreeding and young fish giving birth before they are fully matured. Livebearers should not be bred until they are at least 6 months (preferably 12 months) old. Unfortunately, most female livebearers are gravid (pregnant) in the shop tanks when the fish are sold at 3 or 4 months of age.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back