Guppy emergency! Please help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hi, everyone. She battled hard, but she passed away today. I can't begin to thank everyone who helped, especially @JuiceBox52. I am devastated. I know people say it is "just a fish," but fish are pets just like any other animal. Without you guys and your help, I am sure she would have suffered more. It is better for her this way. Thank you all. What an amazing, caring community this is.

I wish I would've had more time to read all the messages of the post. She suffered from the same thing mine have, with the Camallanus Worms. I've read up a lot on these parasites and livebearers seem to struggle with them the most. I've lost 4 fish to this parasite. One was my favorite rainbow-colored female guppy, another was a Moscow Purple female guppy that was not cheap, a red male, and then the carrier, a tequila sunrise male. The classic signs of this worm are as they said; long, white or clear/mucus feces. The fish tend to get bloated and their anus swells. I mistakenly thought my females were pregnant only to lose them. Towards the end when they're near death, mine turned very skinny and their back turned concave, like the droopy tail you stated. I've had to treat all of my tanks except the Gold Barb one with General Cure, which unfortunately is $18 - $20 a box for me with only 10 doses... with 1 dose per 10 gal. I'm treating 105 gal between all my tanks and the price is definitely painful. The instructions on the General Cure say one dose, 48 hours, another dose, then water change. However, I've read that it's best to treat with it for a week. The worms will reside in the gravel and spread, so even though you lost your female, which I'm very sorry to hear, make sure you keep treating. I feel your pain and it's never "just a fish".

I wish I would've had more time to read all the messages of the post. She suffered from the same thing mine have, with the Camallanus Worms. I've read up a lot on these parasites and livebearers seem to struggle with them the most. I've lost 4 fish to this parasite. One was my favorite rainbow-colored female guppy, another was a Moscow Purple female guppy that was not cheap, a red male, and then the carrier, a tequila sunrise male. The classic signs of this worm are as they said; long, white or clear/mucus feces. The fish tend to get bloated and their anus swells. I mistakenly thought my females were pregnant only to lose them. Towards the end when they're near death, mine turned very skinny and their back turned concave, like the droopy tail you stated. I've had to treat all of my tanks except the Gold Barb one with General Cure, which unfortunately is $18 - $20 a box for me with only 10 doses... with 1 dose per 10 gal. I'm treating 105 gal between all my tanks and the price is definitely painful. The instructions on the General Cure say one dose, 48 hours, another dose, then water change. However, I've read that it's best to treat with it for a week. The worms will reside in the gravel and spread, so even though you lost your female, which I'm very sorry to hear, make sure you keep treating. I feel your pain and it's never "just a fish".
My fish matched all of those symptoms except for getting skinny. I had tried General Cure and it didn't seem to have any affect on the fish, but I will continue the treatment just to be safe. Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate it so much.

My fish matched all of those symptoms except for getting skinny. I had tried General Cure and it didn't seem to have any affect on the fish, but I will continue the treatment just to be safe. Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate it so much.

You're very welcome. I've had some pass that didn't get really skinny also, but two of them did. So it's a potential symptom. I've had luck with the General Cure if I extend treatment to a week. My 55 gal has all healthy fish, as well as my 30 gal. Just still treating my 10 gallons with the fry and the sickest fish in the other one. It's a stubborn parasite to get rid of!

Sorry for your loss, it is apparent to me that you cared deeply for you fish.:(I hope the rest will be alright.

Thank you, yes I did. I hate to say it, but I get attached to my finny friends. I don't like to lose any of them, although my family has the same reaction... "It's just a fish".

You're very welcome. I've had some pass that didn't get really skinny also, but two of them did. So it's a potential symptom. I've had luck with the General Cure if I extend treatment to a week. My 55 gal has all healthy fish, as well as my 30 gal. Just still treating my 10 gallons with the fry and the sickest fish in the other one. It's a stubborn parasite to get rid of!
I wish you the very best of luck with those horrible worms.

@Silvermist80, I have done three treatments of General Cure so far, and some thin red lines are appearing on one of my male guppies...are those the worms? Why are they on the chest? I thought they exit through the anus.

@Silvermist80, I have done three treatments of General Cure so far, and some thin red lines are appearing on one of my male guppies...are those the worms? Why are they on the chest? I thought they exit through the anus.

So sorry, I didn't get a notification of this. None of mine got red lines, are they like hanging off the fish or they're on the body? Pics would help. I feel so bad, you posted this quite some time ago, so may be too late with a reply

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back