Guppies with a betta?

Lemon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok so I have a 10 gallon with a female betta and I want to add three guppy’s because my neighbor has a ton and they are free(we all love free stuff am I right?) so is it possible(according to what I have read it is and I’m not worried if they are eaten I’m worried about my betta(my neighbor has like 5 tanks with breeding groups so if they are eaten the first time and I should try again I can)

I wouldn't recommend it. They both hang out near the surface. Female Bettas can be stroppy sometimes and they require different water chemistry (pH & GH).
Bettas like soft water with a low pH.
Guppies like harder water with a higher pH.

Definitely not. Just because something "might" be possible doesn't mean that it is the best decision for your fish or the guppies in question. Bettas are naturally very territorial and aggressive, especially towards other colorful fish with flowy fins. That being said it is your decision, but if she kills them I would NOT try it again because she will not change. I personally just think it's a bad idea.

Last edited:
As has been said on your previous threads regarding a Betta having the company of other fish....absolutely, definitely not a good idea under any circumstances

The fact that you have asked about this in different ways and on different threads seems to indicate that you only want the response that you like...rather than the genuine advice.

Do not mix Betta with anything, it will end in tears. End of story.

No you shouldn’t. Guppies do NOT do well with bettas. I’ve only seen them work in larger tanks that have lots of plants. Won’t work in a 10gallon so I advise you not to even try it. I also disagree with the part that you said if the guppies died you could just try again. If they got killed, that means that your betta do not tolerate guppies. By even trying this once I say it’s a waste of life if any fish dies. Your putting both your betta’s and the guppies lives in danger by trying this.

DON’T try this, it won’t work out well.

its an old Gangster Rap - from the 90s,
was huge in its day, but Rap music dates so badly (deservedly so)
and had a feeling it would fall flat.
No I knew what you meant with that but I dont know how it applies to this

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back