The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lyuba_buk

Reaction score
hi! i am Lyuba and i am new to fishkeeping. Well, several years ago I had tiny tank with betta fish, which survived a lot (never did any cycling or dechlorinated water). Currently cycling my new 10 gallon tank with One & Only. I would like to have one betta and a couple smaller fishes (looking for recommendations!). I would like to get a snail, too. It would be awesome if someone could recommend me what snail could be a good fit. I already got some Java moss and bamboo plant.
Another question is water temperature. I set up my heater at 30 C or 85 F. Is it good for fishless cycling and future betta?
Thank you all and have a wonderful day!

Okay to start with 30 c is way to hot. Turn it down to about 24.

Secondly a betta is never to be kept with other fish as it is cruel to both species as it causes a lot of stress and exhaustion for both. Snails are something that you can do and so are shrimp if you are careful. There are plenty of varieties of snails ranging from Apple snails. Nerit snails. And ramhorn being the few I can list off the top of my head and all these are common. (I'm excluding pond/past snails)

Oh and welcome.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Okay to start with 30 c is way to hot. Turn it down to about 24.

Secondly a betta is never to be kept with other fish as it is cruel to both species as it causes a lot of stress and exhaustion for both. Snails are something that you can do and so are shrimp if you are careful. There are plenty of varieties of snails ranging from Apple snails. Nerit snails. And ramhorn being the few I can list off the top of my head and all these are common. (I'm excluding pond/past snails)

Oh and welcome.

Hi! Thanks for your response!
Well, i can get a divider for my tank then to keep other fishes safe. But i will definitely start with only one betta to see how it goes.
I am hoping if i get one snail, it wont start multiplying (i had this problem in the past). I will look into types you posted. Again thanks !

As this is a 10 gal. If you were to divide it you wouldn't be able to keep anything but another betta in the second half as the minimum recommend space for a betta is 5 gal. And that is to small for just about everything else unfortunately. Sorry.

As this is a 10 gal. If you were to divide it you wouldn't be able to keep anything but another betta in the second half as the minimum recommend space for a betta is 5 gal. And that is to small for just about everything else unfortunately. Sorry.

Even if I get a couple guppies?

Unfortunately it's pushing the limits for the fishes comfort. And even if you did it would have to be males only. It's just not worth it.

Unfortunately it's pushing the limits for the fishes comfort. And even if you did it would have to be males only. It's just not worth it.

Thanks a lot! (I just remembered that i had 7 or 8 guppies in a 2 or 3 gallon bowl back in old days, it must have been a torture for poor fishes!)

Always a pleasure.

Might I suggest that you look at the divided betta tanks in the respective parts of the forum. There are some really interesting and most beautiful setups that are very easy and effective.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back