green tiger barbs

bettalady

Reaction score
Hi..I am new here..been enjoying my fishkeeping hobby now for a couple of years..I have 5 green tiger barbs and recently noticed something..They are normally dark in color and one of my five has been looking more irredescent and lighter in color..He or she also seems to be attracting another of the barbs..do they change color during mating or is something wrong with her?
thank you
karen

Hi Karen,
good and bad news here... Had a school of 7 greens - one turned lighter as you described and yes the others showed a lot of interest. Turned out that the lighter one was ill/weak and the interest turned agressive. The lighter one died a week or two later. NOW the good news... 2 years later it was happening again and I feared the worst. This fish however has survived a year with this lighter color, has grown larger then all others and is leader of the pack. Go figure, maybe you just have a leader in the making. Lighter shade has interesting markings.

ALASKA

thank you Alaska:)
Will just have to keep watching..hope the latter is true
karen

I have a normal tiger barb that seems to have very faded stripes. He came like this from the LFS about a month ago. He acts just as normal as the others so i just think of it as unique.

I only have 1 green barb and she's my favorite. Every time i stick my hand in the tank she nibbles at my hand every second. I wanted to get a couple more greens but she schools with the rest fine and i don't want to add any more barbs

hi there,
we have 3 stripey & 3 green tiger barbs & occasionally the colour of the greenies does sometimes appear lighter than others ( nothing to do with our light )& they all get on great together(apart from their little dominance nose to nose spins every now & again) but one of our greens was always lighter than the other 2 when we first got them, a couple of weeks later i noticed his top fin was looking decidedly raggedy, it didnt look like it had been nipped - just a bit tatty. we did some research & thought about tail & fin rot & treated our tank for it. we had a nasty experience - stupidly overdosed the tank & basically anaesthetised our barbs (nothing else was affected) for 4 days (they slept for 4 days - im not kidding) anyway they recovered from their experience & the green with the raggedy fin also recovered & so did his top fin within days it looked much better & now nearly a year later he's very healthy looking, hes the same colour as the others & we've had no problems with his fin since. sorry a bit of a long tale but it may just give you something to watch out for with your barb.
hope he/she's fine will be fine :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• GaryE
  • Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
Back