Grayscale's 55G Peice Of Paradise

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GrayScale

Fishaholic
Reaction score
For about the past 6 months I have been considering a marine reef tank. I've gone from planning on converting my 10g FW tank, to converting my FW 20g long tank, to finally deciding on a 55 US gallon with a 20g long sump! :D This will be a slow setup over the next few months and by April I should be running my salted tests and cycling.

Today I've ordered my light unit, AquaticLife T5 HO with lunar lights. It's got 1 plug and a timer which allows individual control of each light. I was a bit weary about it at first but after reading some reviews I think it's the best deal that I could find on a nice light fixture that has had great reviews.

I will be ordering a protein skimmer within the month but I am unsure which type I want to go for, whether it be out of sump, in sump, or hang on the sump. I was leaning more towards a hang on skimmer, in specific the deltec mce600 to allow more room under the cabinet for auto top off and in the sump for a larger refugium. If I can't find a second hand deltec within the next few months I may just go with an AquaC Remora. I've read great reviews about them and they seem pretty quiet.

I'm planning on a DIY stand built a little larger than the tank so I can house the sump underneath. I'm a little thrown off about the tank though. I'm not sure if I want to purchase a tank pre-drilled with a built in overflow or if I want to just use a hang on overflow box. With the built in box i will have less room in the tank but I won't need to allow much room behind the tank for plumbing etc. With the hang on I open up space but need to allow more behind the tank. If I go for the pre-drilled I'm not sure where I will need to drill holes in the stand or if it can be done due to the frame.

I'm also planning on a DIY sump using a standard 20g long aquarium and acrylic baffles. Design will need to be reviewed since I've got only a small clue as to how it should go. I do want a pretty decent sized refugium with a DSP, LR rubble and some macro algae.

I know there are some other items such as the refractometer, heater, powerheads, and pumps which will all come with time as my plans come along.

Stocking:
2 Tank bred juvie clowns (cliche right? :p)
Pistol shrimp / goby pair - so awesome
Possibly a Royal Gramma (Not too sure)

Other than that I'm not sure how much more or what else would fit in there with the CUC and the corals. For corals I am hoping with the lighting I'll be able to do most types.

Coral ideas:
Frogspawn
Torch
Hammer
Brain
Variety of Zoas
Mushies
Toadstool Leather

I know it's all a bit much but I'm sure plannings and things will change over the next few months as things start to come together. Let me know what you think and please toss some more ideas around for me since it's my first salty experience. If I'm going to jump in, I want to jump in with both feet.

Sarching around for some good deals in eBay. Found some new in box items for cheaper than wholesale anywhere else:

Deltec MCE300 - 249.99 - $50 saving
Koralia Evolution 750 - $24.99 - $10 saving
Refractometer(questionable) - $44.99
Koralia Evolution 550 - $29.99 - $6 saving

Total: $349.99

I think they are pretty good deals but I'm not sure how the koralia 750 is a lower price than the 550. If I order them both it's not too big of a deal since I can think of the prices being switched.

For a return pump, I'm not too sure what gph it should be rated at. What happens if the return pump is rated higher than the intake into the sump? I was think a pump for ~330gph would be enough and that would give me over 20x turnover in the display with the powerheads. What do you all think?

P.S. I've redesigned my stand plans which should allow for a pre-drilled aqueon corner overflow tank with megaflow.

Overflow design changed again. Will be using a eshopps HoB overflow to allow more space in the tank itself.

Purchased the deltec skimmer, the refractometer, and koralia evo 750gph x 2. All I have left to purchase is the phosphate reactor, wood for the stand, 55g glass aquarium, 20g long tank and acrylic baffles. I will be posting my designs for my diy stand and sump eventually and I'm hoping that some of you may be able to offer suggestions on design and durability.

For the return I was thinking of using a mag drive 5. With the tank and stand I'm looking at 4 1/2' up to the tank so I think that should be enough. I could always use a mag drive 7 with a ball valve to regulate the flow. For the return, I was hoping to use a y splitter to provide more flow from U-tube with directional return on both sides of the tank.

Will the y-splitter cause a reduction in the returning water flow since it's being split into 2 pipes?

Any thoughts or opinions? I could really use it ha ha.

Will the y-splitter cause a reduction in the returning water flow since it's being split into 2 pipes?

The added size of crossection of two pipes over one would probably cause a small decrease in total flow unless the setup was a bit funky. If one tube splits into two same-size tubes on the way up, you will be dealing with more weight of water to push upwards at any given time and more surface area for air pressure to act on. However, I don't know whether the decrease would be all that noticable with a strong pump, a split near to the top, and somewhat smaller tubes after the split.

Thanks Donya.

Powerheads, skimmer and refractometer will be here today. Light unit will arrive by the end of this week. Later on today I will post my plans for the cabinet and the sump and I'm hoping you all willhave some input on them.

Light unit arrived today. All I have left to get for initial equipment will be a phosphate reactor, the 55g and the sump tank(size undecided), get the stand built, and I will be purchasing a tunze auto top off, mag drive 2 for the reactor, and a mag drive 7 for the return.

I'm super excited to get this set up and now that I'm getting all the parts hopefully it will give me a kick in the butt to get this done and set up a little quicker than anticipated. I definitely don't want to rush this though so we shall see how things go over the next few weeks.

That is one impressive looking light unit! Can't wait to see how this comes along!!! Keep us updated!

Rhy

That is one impressive looking light unit! Can't wait to see how this comes along!!! Keep us updated!

Rhy

I thought so too! I was thinking metal halide but I was wanting something a little less energy consuming and produce less heat. I noticed in you sig that you've got a dwarf angel? How does that get along with the corals and other tank mates? I was considering one but I didn't want complication since it's still an angel and they are considered "with caution" in a reef.

Additional stocking consideration to update original post:

purple firefish
blue maxima clam (not sure if it's enough lighting)

Flame angel has be great with all the corals, no problems yet! Loves to graze on the seaweed that I put in the tank but really really loves mysis and krill! As with all angel fish though, it's hit and miss with the Flame angel. On a brighter note, I've heard of a lot more people saying they've had no problems with the flame than people saying that they nipped their corals!

Grayscale, glad to see things coming along so well. Good choice on the light. :good:

I'm tagging along on this one.

worth-1.gif

:lol:hahaha

Haha nothing to take pics of yet. All my equipment is being stored at where I'm moving to and still in the box. I'm thinking the stand will be built in the next month or so. I'll be ordering my tunze auto top off and a few other things this week along with the tanks.

Lucky me, I just got promoted at my work so it'll help pay for the rest! :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back