Grayscale's 55G Peice Of Paradise

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Thanks! The only issue now is that I work nights so it's definately slowing down progress of the build. Unfortunitly at this time there are no new updates yet. I'm hoping to order the tank and sump within the week. Once the tank is recieved I will be building the stand. (I hope) :good:

So the other day I recieved an email from a lfs that closed there retail side about 4 months ago, just re-opened. I stopped in there last night and they can drill the tank and build build my sump for me. :good: I will be ordering the two tanks later today.

With all the excitment, I recently discovered a new 3d modeling software that's very user friendly to create the frame of my stand!

f9e39192.jpg

I would like some input on it structurally. It is 50"x15"x40" to accomodate the 55g on top and to fit a 29g sump below. The reason for the 40" height is so it can be seen over the couch when you walk in the front door. It will most likely be fastened to the wall for extra support and to keep it from tipping. Most of the framework will be 1"x3" oak lumber and the 2 center braces on the top and bottom will be a 2"x4" oak. The top will be capped with 1/2" oak sheet as will the bottom. It will be fully closed up with 2 doors on the front.

55 gallon tank and 29g tank have been ordered and shoud arrive at the lfs next week! The owner of the store said he would build the sump and drill the holes for the drain and return in the back of the 55. I was thinking about having him drill 1" drain holes of the top left and right side of the tank and one 3/4" return in the middle. Not sure how far down the back of the tank they should be drilled. The next issue will be sorting out the surface skimming. I will probably plumb a durso standpipe on the back of the tank in the two drains. Water will flow in, go throug the bulkhead the I will have a "T" fitting. One will drain to the sump and the top will have an end cap with a hole drilled and an air valve.

For the return I haven't figured out what size pump I will need. I assume it'll be best to get a larger pump than needed and regulate it with a ball valve. The return nozzle wil be a "y" splitter with 2 flexible nozzles, one pointing at the surface and 1 down at ~45 degree angle from the surface towards live rock.

I will be running the skimmer hanging on the sump with a phosphate reactor inside the first chamber of the sump. Second chamber will have a dsb refugium and the third will be the return.

Cough, cough......as you have some time before the big build, how about drifting over to my thread 'I was thinking' and see if there is something you would like to do?

SEffie x

Cough, cough......as you have some time before the big build, how about drifting over to my thread 'I was thinking' and see if there is something you would like to do?

SEffie x

Cough, cough... how about a little hand with the plumbing and some thoughts on it? :p I've developed a 3-d image of how i think the plumbing will go but i don't think it is that efficient. I'm also not sure if the stand will be sturdy enough.

d9694921.jpg

6d124365.jpg

The drain goes into the portion of the sump closer to the middle of the stand and the return is the one on the outside right. Of course I will have ball valves for the drain and return to fine tune flow.

29g sump tank arrived at the lfs today. Stopped by and gave them my basic sump design and it should be ready to pick up in a week or so. 55g tank will be arriving hopefully next week so the lfs can drill it and I'll be ready to plumb in 2-3 weeks.

The pressure is definately on to get things setup asap since the lfs is selling some base rock from some of there tanks that they have broken down for $5.00/lb. The owner said they would break me a deal though and do $3.00/lb which is a great price even if it is dense base rock and bones. They also had some nice coraline encrusted Fiji sitting in the same container at the same price! Hope it's still there when I'm ready for it. :good:

Not too much to update on but I thought i could give a minor update.

Next Sunday is my birthday and my moms boyfriend is building the stand for the tank for my birthday! I wanted to do it but since he's a carpenter for a living it's probably better off. :p

29g tank arrived at the lfs and the owner is in the process of building the sump for me. 55g tank should arrive next week and the owner will also be drilling that for me. Next time I go in I will be ordering my tunze osmolator 3155 auto top off unit, a mag drive 9.5 pump and possibly the test kits.

I wasn't planning on a wet test run with tap water until late April(when I move in), but it seems things are coming along quicker than anticipated and the leak test will most likely take place in two weeks(provided I have time to get the plumbing in). I was thinking of using rigid PVC for behind the tank and then using flex PVC under the stand for less friction.

Criticism, thoughts, and ideas are always welcome and much appreciated since it's my first time. :D

I'm really enjoying watching and listening to your thought processes and just cant wait for the next phase............

Seffie x

So far it's just been a one man show :p. But putting my thoughts down here helps me change things as needed and I hope you all would chime in if I'm doing something wrong. :D

Visited the lfs earlier today, 55g tank has arrived! Stand will be getting here on Saturday. Sump will be built and ready to install on saturday to verify that it will fit. Still waiting on the lfs to drill the 55g. I also ordered my tunze "awesome otter" auto top off. Purchased a phosban reactor 150 and a maxi jet 400 to run it. The only things left to purchase will be plumbing parts and my mag drive 9.5 for the return. After that it will be all rock sand and water!

Oh and of course the test kits and filter media! I'm just cruising along with all this. In the future I may be looking into purchasing a chiller and maybe an ro/di unit. Even if it's just for top off water.

Small update:

I took a trip to the lfs to check on my sump. The owner was unable to finish building it so that will be ready next week hopefully as well as the drilling on the 55g.

My mom and her boyfriend are up from Florida with the stand. I work tonight so i will not be able to see it until tomorrow which is cool since tomorrow is my actual birthday.

I ordered the mag drive 9.5 pond pump. I bought the pond pump because it was on sale. It's the same exact pump it just comes with a pre-filter on the pump intake which I can either use or not use. Sounds like it's almost time for...

PICTURES!! I would say Stand pictures tomorrow and all other setup pictures next weekend!

First pic if the journal!

00b743b9.jpg

a little taller than originally planned but it'll do. Tanks should be ready for pick up his Wednesday.

Most reactions

Back