Graphics Card Issue Resolved :d

spectrum

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Having had my graphics card supposedly fail on me recently, I just upraged my cheap rubbish power supply that came with the PC to a bigger and better one, so when I came to upradge my graphics card again I wouldn't have to worry about inadequate power. I took the old power supply out, fitted the new one and all was fine, then I thought I might aswell try the dodgy graphics card just to see. As it turns out the graphics card is absoloutely fine, its now running perfectly once again with this new PSU, no issues what so ever. I assume that the beefy cards power consumption managed to slowly push the rubbish old PSU over the edge, hence the gradual decline.
I was overjoyed to say the least at the prospect of once again enjoying the delicous graphics of Pc gaming :drool: :lol:

If it was the graphics card that was causing purple lines etc I would doubt it is a PSU issue. Perhaps because you've left your card out the PC is has effected it in some way, I don't think there is much to get your hopes up again though.

Edit: Crappy PSUs are the bane of all computers though, I remember when swapping my case at one point in time a few years back I had transferred everything over and had a pretty crappy PSU included with the case. I decided rather than transfer over my old one which was a CoolMaster I would stick with this Chinese thing, needless to say it blew the motherboard with one push of that button. Fortunately the Ram/CPU were safe but it was kind of annoying to have to order a new Mobo.

Having had my graphics card supposedly fail on me recently, I just upraged my cheap rubbish power supply that came with the PC to a bigger and better one, so when I came to upradge my graphics card again I wouldn't have to worry about inadequate power. I took the old power supply out, fitted the new one and all was fine, then I thought I might aswell try the dodgy graphics card just to see. As it turns out the graphics card is absoloutely fine, its now running perfectly once again with this new PSU, no issues what so ever. I assume that the beefy cards power consumption managed to slowly push the rubbish old PSU over the edge, hence the gradual decline.
I was overjoyed to say the least at the prospect of once again enjoying the delicous graphics of Pc gaming :drool: :lol:

that sounds, entirely, plausible. bargain!

as a counter point to the other poster, here. in over 30 years of working with PC's i have only had one power supply go pop, and one voltage regulator go. and neither was connected. I'd suggest the fault in the posters case was a faulty motherboard not power supply. but it is worth upgrading the OEM power supply, ASAP.

that sounds, entirely, plausible. bargain!

as a counter point to the other poster, here. in over 30 years of working with PC's i have only had one power supply go pop, and one voltage regulator go. and neither was connected. I'd suggest the fault in the posters case was a faulty motherboard not power supply. but it is worth upgrading the OEM power supply, ASAP.

Nope it was the power supply that took the motherboard out, the motherboard had been used for around 6 months the PSU went out and so did the motherboard. It's all an assumption but when the PSU fails after first turn on and takes the motherboard out with it I point the blame at the PSU considering it never worked after it.

In fact my brother had a Coolmaster FX650 fail only last night was able to boot his computer using my PSU in place which is actually the same model.

Anyway moving on and avoiding the issue I had a while ago, I'd like to hear how this card is performing as around two weeks ago the issue seemed to be related to VRAM failing with purple lines and blotches, I've never heard of a PSU causing that and for it to work suddenly without an issue is concerning that it may reappear shortly.

Try running Unigine Heaven again and see what you get.

I ran Unigine as soon as I got it up and running again, left it going for a good 1/2 hour and no problems, been running demanding games this last few days with no issues. From what I could gather from the internet and other peoples problem it was not a VRAM issue.

Just ran Unigine once again with 8x MSAA 16x Anisotropic filtering and DX10, becuase the card doesn't support DX11 anyway. It came throught the benchmark fine again with an average FPS of 32.7.

Just ran Unigine once again with 8x MSAA 16x Anisotropic filtering and DX10, becuase the card doesn't support DX11 anyway. It came throught the benchmark fine again with an average FPS of 32.7.

Ooh that's not that bad for a 5700 or something is it? My 6850 only gets around 80/90fps on Unigine when I OC the crap out of the rig.

I've just had to RMA 4gb worth of Ram because it was causing blue screens. I tried to Memtest each single stick and the one stick which was causing problems wouldn't get to the windows login screen without bluescreening on me. In fact my MemOK kept going ballistic when trying to post.

Technology today eh :(... and they claim they hand test every stick of ram... :lol:

Ooh that's not that bad for a 5700 or something is it? My 6850 only gets around 80/90fps on Unigine when I OC the crap out of the rig.

Its a 4890 very slightly overclocked on the Core frequency, I don't think i'll ever touch the VRAM. I want to overclock my CPU because its not very adept when it comes to gaming and causes a couple of games to get a bit sluggish when things get heavy, but I don't want to lose the warranty on it though :/.

WOW a 6850 must have cost a bomb :drool: I was looking at a review of a 6990 earlier and it looks like an absoloute monster :lol:

About £150 when I got it, it's alright was intending to do ATI crossfire and buy two however I decided to test it out first. With a single card alone the only game I have found that I struggle to get a ludicrous FPS is Arma 2, though that is understandable.

About £150 when I got it, it's alright was intending to do ATI crossfire and buy two however I decided to test it out first. With a single card alone the only game I have found that I struggle to get a ludicrous FPS is Arma 2, though that is understandable.
That seems quite cheap? Did you get it at a discount for some reason, or am I just not clued up on GPU prices :lol: I would have expected a 6800 series to be around the £250 mark.

That seems quite cheap? Did you get it at a discount for some reason, or am I just not clued up on GPU prices :lol: I would have expected a 6800 series to be around the £250 mark.

6800 series is outdated already as of like 3 months, the 6900 series are out and they are around £200 mark depending on what you go for. AMD/ATI are generally priced cheaper than the equivalent nVidia cards though I've never had a problem with an nVidia card ever.

Wait for this though... my friend has 2 x 6980s displayed on 3 x 24" monitors :|... it's amazing makes you feel like you're in the game but when you go to turn a corner on say battlefield or whatever you actually have to twist your body to look haha.

Edit: If you were to get a card like that I would seriously check to see how much space you have in your case. Mine almost reaches my hard drive bays on a full ATX case so.

I was actually quite lucky when I bought this one, I didn't think to check the size and it was a very tight fit. It finished about where the HD bays start. I only have one disk in the bottom most slot though so its not an issue.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back