Gouramis and bubblenesting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GrullaQuarters

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, I have three gouramis, blue, lavender and opaline, and didn't know until after I brought them home that I could sex them. Well, we have one male and two females. The lavender is the male. We have had them for a couple of months now, and the male has taken to staying up near water level next to the heater in the middle of the tank. He'll blow bubbles, and create a small nest of bubbles along the heater, but never fully builds a nest. Now I'm not trying to get them to breed (probably out of my hands anyway!) I'm just curious if this is normal behavior for him. He only creates a small layer of bubbles along the top of the water around this heater, and has been doing it for the past month.

Is this common?
THanks

Male blue gouramis rarely produce large nests. They will produce large nests in bacteria laden water.

You could try adding some floating plants or something of that sort just in case the nest is being broken or because parts keep drifting away. It might help him make a bigger nest. :dunno:

mine like to do it around the thermometer (when they aren't banging it agains the glass that is...................). normal behavior

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back