Got a mouse in the house.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The roach is still scurrying around the door and is covered in cobwebs. The spiders are all hiding. No gators on the front lawn yet :)
You'll be reported as a big foot sighting if you keep whaling around the house lol

Well 2 weeks ago I got one mouse with a trap. Whacked him on the back of the neck and hopefully killed him instantly. A day after that and there was still noises in the kitchen, a second vermin rodent in my house. I spent the last 2 weeks trying to get that little bastard too but he knows how to get food off the traps without triggering the traps.

Last week the mouse was in the bin so I threw the bin out and made sure all crumbs and bits of food went in the loo and got flushed. I set the traps again and jammed a sultana in each one and the little bugga got the sultanas off both traps without setting them off. I had a new bin with some packaging in but no food scraps or crumbs and the mouse has been in it every night making a racket. Well tonight he/ she must have been really hungry because I scared hell out of it when it was in the bin and it got out and took off under a box. Then a few hours later it was back in the bin. But this time I pulled the sides up on the bin and took it outside. I put the bin on its side and the rotten little turd mouse jumped out and took off down the road. Someone else can deal with it now. During the last hour I haven't heard any noises but I will have to wait and see if they had babies or if there were more than 2 of them. Then I get to go through everything and see how much damage they did to my stuff.

I am glad I don't live over east currently. They have a major mouse plague that is so bad, the government is authorising a toxin/ poison that is not normally allowed to be used. They have footage of the mouse plague on the news and there are millions of mice over everything on the farms and grain/ hay piles. The mice have destroyed hundreds of tonnes of grain already and are eating, breeding and pooping on everything.

Well 2 weeks ago I got one mouse with a trap. Whacked him on the back of the neck and hopefully killed him instantly. A day after that and there was still noises in the kitchen, a second vermin rodent in my house. I spent the last 2 weeks trying to get that little bastard too but he knows how to get food off the traps without triggering the traps.

Last week the mouse was in the bin so I threw the bin out and made sure all crumbs and bits of food went in the loo and got flushed. I set the traps again and jammed a sultana in each one and the little bugga got the sultanas off both traps without setting them off. I had a new bin with some packaging in but no food scraps or crumbs and the mouse has been in it every night making a racket. Well tonight he/ she must have been really hungry because I scared hell out of it when it was in the bin and it got out and took off under a box. Then a few hours later it was back in the bin. But this time I pulled the sides up on the bin and took it outside. I put the bin on its side and the rotten little turd mouse jumped out and took off down the road. Someone else can deal with it now. During the last hour I haven't heard any noises but I will have to wait and see if they had babies or if there were more than 2 of them. Then I get to go through everything and see how much damage they did to my stuff.

I am glad I don't live over east currently. They have a major mouse plague that is so bad, the government is authorising a toxin/ poison that is not normally allowed to be used. They have footage of the mouse plague on the news and there are millions of mice over everything on the farms and grain/ hay piles. The mice have destroyed hundreds of tonnes of grain already and are eating, breeding and pooping on everything.
I was always told, “you never have one mouse...” ? ...they breed like guppies ??

No point catching them and putting them outside, they’ll just come back in, they are vermin - kill them. I was just going to say about the videos of the plagues of mice...but you’ve mentioned that!

@Colin_T . There are a number of live traps available for mice. When I was younger I made a live traps out of a snap traps, Screw the trigger half of the trap into something like a 500 millilitre yoghurt container. Then on the snap trap wire attach some stiff cardboard backed by hardware cloth so they cannot chew through it. You need a slot in the middle of the cardboard cover/modified snap, so that the spring bail can snap free. The mouse steps on the trap trigger when in the yoghurt container and the cardboard/hardware cloth closes the entrance. I use carboard facing because it is less likely to harm the little guy.

If you are having issues with the mouse stealing the bait try peanut butter. The mice try to lick it off the trigger eventually setting it off.
1621285158173.png

Cats in my experience are as likely to bring living mice, birds, rats into the house as they are to outright kill them. Additionally you also have a creature that is indiscriminately feeding on wild animals such as birds in your yard. Freezing is not humane, anyone who has ever had frost bite will tell you it is painful.

I tried live traps first and they are still set. The mice just won't go in them. After a few weeks of that I tried the normal spring loaded mouse trap and that got one and my thumb. I wish I had my dogs still, they were good at taking out mice & rats.

I tried live traps first and they are still set. The mice just won't go in them. After a few weeks of that I tried the normal spring loaded mouse trap and that got one and my thumb. I wish I had my dogs still, they were good at taking out mice & rats.
Get a cat....and try not to have it for dinner (?)

Get a cat....and try not to have it for dinner (?)
A cat might actually be a good idea. They require very little maintenance and are incredibly adaptable. If you get an older one that's already been fixed and knows how to hunt, you're basically all set. Purring at the foot of your bed is quite comforting, too. Well, when you have a cat it is. I can't say the same for when you live alone and have no pets.

A cat might actually be a good idea. They require very little maintenance and are incredibly adaptable. If you get an older one that's already been fixed and knows how to hunt, you're basically all set. Purring at the foot of your bed is quite comforting, too. Well, when you have a cat it is. I can't say the same for when you live alone and have no pets.
I agree, but Colin tends to have certain....um......"propensities"....

I had a dicussion once with my girlfriend. We we're in a cottage and there was a tiny mouse. We didn't need any alarm, for her volume covered for the whole town. I had to catch that mouse. And my gf kept screaming while she was jumping on the couch. I finally got that mouse (damn, they're so fast!). she didn't want me to kill it. It was cold ouside. So, she said that I couldn't put it in the cold. So, I've tried to release it close to the cottage, so, it could hide in the bush. And what I've already expected, that was way too close to the cottage that it would probably try to get it again. and tha while she was still jumping on the couch. Yes, her volume reached also outdoors... ?. There wasn't really a good shelter for that mouse to hide for the cold. I got inside again with the mouse kept between two plastic cups. And the screaming started again. At that time no mp3 players were invented yet. So, couldn't cover my ears. Put my coat on and went to the lake shore (just a 10 minutes walk). There were a number of cut trees where I released that mouse. When I got back, she felt so sorry for that mouse... Is it me... or just 'women"? No offense, ladies... ?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back