Daft thought needs input

Jennet15 73

Fish Crazy
Supporting Member ⭐
Joined
Jul 20, 2026
Messages
291
Reaction score
392
Points
63
Location
Stourbridge, UK
I absolutely adore the pictures of peoples aquariums that have plants growing in the top of them. However, as my house is very old and can be subject to damp I need to be careful.

Following reading a thread in the what's new section, a thought occurred to me that I may just be able to get away with.

If I got two pieces of acrylic cut to just overlap the top of my aquarium, I could cut holes into one piece in order to grow the roots through the bottom to touch the water.

In order to do this, I would need to use a plant that has to be kept in the house in the UK and first grow this to the size of the pot I would like to keep on top of the aquarium. It would not have to be very heavy as acrylic will bend and flex.

Does anyone have any idea of a relatively low light plant that may fit this description as I have to keep the tank about a third of the way down my lounge which is 22 foot long.
Thanks.
 
For a tank that size only plants that fits the category are pothos, monstera and philodendrons
They're a lot I mean a **** load of different types of each so you can choose whatever you like but only some do well in low light areas so be careful with that
 
I would use philodendrons which are doing well at less light for sure. But as @OMG_FL has already stated. There are many plants which will do in this case.
 
I would use philodendrons which are doing well at less light for sure. But as @OMG_FL has already stated. There are many plants which will do in this case.
Thanks for this.

I have had a quick look at this, but also just realised I already have a plant in my bathroom that may do well with less light, as there is no direct sunlight into my bathroom. It is an Oxalis Triangularis that closes its leaves when it gets dark. Also, many years ago I had a Maranta that similarly closed its leaves up in the evening, so I think I will go back and do some reading about both.

What sort of soil do you use to plant into? I will go to my local garden centre to see if I can get something with no added fertilisers in it, as a lot of the stuff you can buy over here has added fertiliser beads.

Also, probably another daft question, I don't think it should bother a plant too much if I snip off some of the roots as long as there are others that are feeding the plant. Has anybody here done that?
 
I don't use soil. Mine were rooting on their own, and those roots were growing towards the water.
 
OK thanks, will take them out of pots and put them in a terracotta one that I can rest just on the top of the water.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top