Giving Up Completely!

Sorry to hear that. With only those available, I would have become bored long ago. I have been getting into the goodeids that are not just less common in home aquaria but many are threatened by loss of habitat. They are often rather easy to care for and reproduce readily but finding them can be a challenge and many need a protected home for the species to survive even though they are easy fish.
 
Sorry to hear that. With only those available, I would have become bored long ago. I have been getting into the goodeids that are not just less common in home aquaria but many are threatened by loss of habitat. They are often rather easy to care for and reproduce readily but finding them can be a challenge and many need a protected home for the species to survive even though they are easy fish.
not all goodeids are easy to keep.
some are very hard to keep and breed. skiffia lermae is one of the hardest of livebearers to keep & breed .
some goodeids can reproduce readily. & some times they can stop for many months without producing a single fry.
 
I don't disagree Fish48. I am working with some of the easier ones that are nonetheless threatened and need someone to help keep them going.
 
I've drifted in and out of fishkeeping for 20 odd years, but then went over to discus and that has kept me hooked with the challenge of not only breeding but raising the fry without stunting and then theres the colour variations to consider, now i keep madagascans and have some rare asian cichlids and my challenge to breed them has got me more hooked. I havent always been successfull in completing my challenges but the determination that nothing is going to beat me keeps me going strong and keeps my fishroom expanding steadily
regards Angel
 
In a reply to Big C's topic "Killifish", I included a sentence ..."actually, I've considered giving up completely"... & only once I've said it, I realised that it is completely true.... It actually felt like a relieve just saying that.....

There probably comes a time that one realises that you are at a "cul de sac", (dead end road) and can make no more progress with your current resources.....

How many of you reach this point, and what do you do to motivate youselves to just carry on... Things will get better".....

I have bred most of currently available stocks & cannot get hold of those breeding pairs that I consider to be a challenge.... So what to do, is quit completely.... (after 39 years)?? (& I can also not get rid of my current abundance of the basic easy to breeds that I have in stock and access to).... ANYONE would get disheartened at that prospect.... How do you remain motivated??


Well... Myself, I look at thing realisticly. Life has never and will never work out the way that anybody wants it to. Sure to an extent it will. But at some point in our lives we all get dissappointed. Just think of life as one big foot race and you've just fallen and twisted your ankle. Keep going, push on, no matter the pain, no matter the lack of enthusiasim on your own behalf. When somebody tells you to "just give up" spit in their faces and press on!
 
as it says over there <<<<<<<< ive only been fishkeeping since Jan of 2008, but in that time i havent half made some killer mistakes, quite literaly in some cases,BUT i come on here talk to people that understand the stress and frustration that this so called relaxing hobby can cause so many of us.. and in some cases over and over again ( moi).. and theres no way they`ll let a good one slip thru the net!! thats why i love this forum soooo much!!

you cant quit. by god i know you put in at least triple the effort the rest of us do just to obtain the fish you want ( and i hope that one day that will be a few chocolate gouramis)
i wish it was soo much easier for you i really do, enough to take the strain and hard work out of it and make it a real pleasure all the time,cos lets face it when its all going well, even the water changes are a pleasure...

dont give it up, u love this hobby and it needs people like you, :) and besides i`d miss you :) youve invested so much time,money and effort to walk away now
im sure with bigc help you can work out a way to get the killis you want, and then we can have you back,on form and smiling again.. but if theres anything i personaly can do to help with anything.. you should know, that you only have to ask , youve been a massive help to me,as has your lovely wife :thanks:

so on that note... dont go :)

lots of love shelagh xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
Killifish are the way to go! I've raised killies since 1987. There are easy ones to get you started and hard ones that you will find impossible to breed. Their colors rival salt water fish (I would say surpass) and they are realatively easy to get hold of. I know there are several killifish folks that are in the AKA (American Killifish Association) in South Africa. The best 2 websites to check out would be www.aka.org (american killifish association) and www.aquabid.com (a site dedicated to people listing fish and fish related items they have for sale). Aquabid has hundreds of listings for killies and killie eggs with many very reasonably priced.
For the sake of full disclosure I am a member of the AKA.
I have never posted for sale any items on aquabid.
I did buy some fish from a person from aquabid.
Give killies a chance, they're awesome.
Take care,
Joe in St. Louis MO



Indirectly Andy.... I think you're putting the finger onto the problem.... too much effort & too little returns.... But unfortunately, with the stocks already "in stock".... I have to maintain them, and they just keep on multiplying.... Cannot flush them..... mmmm??? now can I????
[/quote]
 
Indirectly Andy.... I think you're putting the finger onto the problem.... too much effort & too little returns.... But unfortunately, with the stocks already "in stock".... I have to maintain them, and they just keep on multiplying.... Cannot flush them..... mmmm??? now can I????


Putting this in perspective, My feeding rounds this afternoon took me (only) 20mins..., BUT!!...

1) In the Convict pond, I could see at least 7 pairs of Convicts either busy guarding eggs or fry in various stages of development..... (1000nds of adults)

2) In the Blue Gourami pond,... There are 5 bubble nests & thousands of fry swimming amoungst the 1000nds of adults

3) the guppies, Mollies and Platies cannot be stopped and are all multiplying by at least 50 (each) per day

4) A guy came around yesterday to buy 4 guppy males and 4 Platies..... (Guppy male @ R3.00 and Platies at R2.00 ea... In the LFS around here Guppy males are R15.00 ea and Platies R12.00)... I just put the net in and scooped about 20 guppies and 20 Platies, but still only charged him for 4 of each.....

See the predicament!!
 
Well, if you keep selling 20 fish for the price of four, the population will be reduced in no time...
You can't give up, Ludwig, where else will we find such a charming tease?
 
Well, if you keep selling 20 fish for the price of four, the population will be reduced in no time...
You can't give up, Ludwig, where else will we find such a charming tease?


Syphon.....Even if it is for that reason exclusively,..... I'll give up the fish, but I'll still haunt you on the forum.....
 
I am slowly but surely taking up the remaining space around the house with attempts at culturing Bonzai trees....

I meant ornamental crustaceans. :lol:


Tyler.... I have a better chance of finding my Choc gouramies here in S.A. than I would have finding any of those crustaceans.... (& I've only been looking for em (Chocs) for about 20 years.)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top