Giving Up Completely!

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
In a reply to Big C's topic "Killifish", I included a sentence ..."actually, I've considered giving up completely"... & only once I've said it, I realised that it is completely true.... It actually felt like a relieve just saying that.....

There probably comes a time that one realises that you are at a "cul de sac", (dead end road) and can make no more progress with your current resources.....

How many of you reach this point, and what do you do to motivate youselves to just carry on... Things will get better".....

I have bred most of currently available stocks & cannot get hold of those breeding pairs that I consider to be a challenge.... So what to do, is quit completely.... (after 39 years)?? (& I can also not get rid of my current abundance of the basic easy to breeds that I have in stock and access to).... ANYONE would get disheartened at that prospect.... How do you remain motivated??
 
marine isnt as hard as it sounds, after 39 years and youve kept discus id say your more than ready for marine, although the cost can be a drawback
 
I have conquered my fear of going marine, but I think "me wif" still has her own (secret) judgements on that subject & being the sensitive type (as I am) I'd prefer harmony before I indulge (been married for almost 37 years now.... would be a catastrophy if I let a coupla fish destroy that relationship)......& think about the kids!! So yea!!!... I am thinking.....
 
Oddballs would be cool if you have the room. Piranhas? Archerfish? Ropefish? Pufferfish?

But marine would be nice, if not marine, could try Tanganyika or Malawi?
 
Oddballs would be cool if you have the room. Piranhas? Archerfish? Ropefish? Pufferfish?

But marine would be nice, if not marine, could try Tanganyika or Malawi?

I hear all what you are saying, but (still in "oddballs").... Big C has now planted a little seed in my head with his topic "Killifish".... I think (personally) that this is also a completely different aspect of the hobby... & seems more viable & possible.... Only problem is, they're not available.
 
You live in Souf Efrika - dump the tanks and go diving! I would be straight in that water. Then go and watch the Lions tour.

Hmm, what else is a standard thing for a Saffa to do...

Oh yes, come to London and become a barman :D

On a slightly less facetious note:

Easiest way to stay motivated for me is to scale back and make it easier. The most common complaint is that many tanks become a pain to maintain and you stop enjoying it; make maintenance easier and it becomes so much more enjoyable. If you can fit an auto water change system then all you are really doing is feeding the tanks from time to time, hardly a huge effort. At the very least dump using buckets and incorporate a hose based drain and refill method.
 
Indirectly Andy.... I think you're putting the finger onto the problem.... too much effort & too little returns.... But unfortunately, with the stocks already "in stock".... I have to maintain them, and they just keep on multiplying.... Cannot flush them..... mmmm??? now can I????
 
I have gone in another direction. I find keeping the common aquarium fish is easy but have recently gone into some of the endangered species of livebearers. My prior knowledge of livebearers makes me a better keeper than some and it gives a sense of purpose to what I am doing.
 
I have gone in another direction. I find keeping the common aquarium fish is easy but have recently gone into some of the endangered species of livebearers. My prior knowledge of livebearers makes me a better keeper than some and it gives a sense of purpose to what I am doing.

My exclusive choices are Platies, Mollies, Guppies & Swords..... Anything outside of that will be a challenge.... If I can get hold of a male & a coupla females (of anything).... But not around here.....
 

Most reactions

Back
Top