Get ready for all the same old questions.......

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

As some have mentioned before, do not change out/throw away your filter media each month - this will disrupt/kill your cycle.

Most manufacturers tell you to change it every month, so you keep buying their replacements. You shouldn’t need to replace a filter cartridge until it’s literally falling apart. I have had the same one for over 8 months now... :whistle:

The link shows a black block at the bottom, then two thin green pads, then a blue sponge on top. The black is carbon and the green pads are phosphate pads. You don't need either of these, but you do need the blue sponge.

What I suggest is to get some more filter sponge, any make as along as it is slightly bigger than the green and black bits. Cut the sponge down to the same size and shape. Then replace one of them with sponge. A month later, replace another bit with more sponge. And so on until all that's in the filter is sponge.
Edit - see next post

Once you have all sponge you won't need to change anything for years.

Last edited:
You posted as I was typing.

I have just remembered that you have only just got the ammonia for fishless cycling so you don't have to change the media in bits and pieces, you can do it all at once as soon as possible before the bacteria start to grow.
And yes, while you are just starting the cycle you can take the black and green bits out and leave them to dry - then you'll have a template for cutting up the sponge.

Just realised autocorrect on the phone turned "Phos". into "this".

Going to pull the filter out once the kids are in bed, I can actually shorten it by taking the section that houses the carbon cartridge away completely, leaving just the sponge and phosphate section behind, or should I fill the whole thing with sponge?

Does the pore size matter?

(And thank you for your patience.)

Phosphate pads are not really necessary. But you could leave them there and just don't replace them as they still make a good home for the bacteria.

If you want to swap them for sponge, usually coarse sponge is first in the direction of water flow with fine sponge being last.

Postponed my first tests to this morning as we buried my wifes brother yesterday, he died suddenly on Tuesday and we're all still in a bit of shock.
Ammonia has gone down but my test strips aren't registering any nitrites yet, I was hoping my API master kit would of arrived by now so am relying on their strips for now. (I do have an ammonia test kit though as the strips don't do ammonia.)

How long should bloom take to clear?

Postponed my first tests to this morning as we buried my wifes brother yesterday, he died suddenly on Tuesday and we're all still in a bit of shock.
Ammonia has gone down but my test strips aren't registering any nitrites yet, I was hoping my API master kit would of arrived by now so am relying on their strips for now. (I do have an ammonia test kit though as the strips don't do ammonia.)

How long should bloom take to clear?
I'm so sorry for your loss :(

It'll probably only take a few days for a bacterial bloom to clear. It makes the water cloudy as the bacteria population explodes (and these are different bacteria from the ones we're trying to cultivate in our filters, but very normal and harmless) and they keep multiplying until they've eaten all the food available to them. Then they begin to die off and the water clears again. :) A lot of people try to fight a bacterial bloom like this by doing lots of water changes, but of course that still leaves enough bacteria for them to continue multiplying, and the new water just gives them fresh food, so they keep clouding up the replacement water and on it goes, drawing the whole process out. Better to be patient and you'll see it clear in 2- 3 days. :)

I usually link this video about modifying filters, because I found it so useful not only to learn how to modify different filters to get the maximum amount of filtration out of them (along with not needing to buy replacement cartridges! - what an unnecessary manufacturing con!) but because it helped me to get to grips with the nitrogen cycle and exactly what we're doing when it comes to what a filter does. Mechanically filtering out large particles of course, but also just providing a lot of surface area for nitrifying bacteria to grow on. Buying thin bits of sponge then throwing them away to replace with new ones is working against what we want for our tanks, while costing you money! But of course, filter manufacturers want the repeat business.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(
Thank you.

I only ask about bloom as the tank went cloudy very quickly after dosing with ammonia, I expected it to happen, just not so suddenly. and it is just as bad after 5 days, I'm not panicking yet though, isn't part of cycling a tank learning patience?

The tank was set up and running for a few days before dosing as I had to order ammonia online after discovering it was all sold out locally.

API test kit arrived today, just need Khaden to come home from school and then we'll test both Ammonia and Nitrites. (Though I think I have to run to Belfast first.)
I did dip a strip last night and no nitrites according to them, but I understand they're not the most accurate.

And I can see the back of the tank again, so the bloom is clearing.

We also took a trip to two nslsf (not so local fish shop)
One didn't even speak to us, probably because I had my 4yo daughter along. Seemed you needed to be in a clique.
The other was fantastic, spoke to the kids, showed videos on their phone of stock they had sold out of, gave decent enough advice, though I did overhear another staff member selling fish-in cycles as a way of getting fish in sooner, but he may of been listing pros and cons......
Guess who's getting my money.......

Last edited:
Day 12, no parameter change.......
Though I did improve the appearance of the tank, it's a rimless design with a one piece front and sides which means at the top of the water level you get a visible "tide mark" line and condensation which I think look unsightly.
IMG_20200913_095957.jpg

So I got some 3cm wide gloss black vinyl via a local vehicle graphics shop.
You can get a range of colours and finishes to suit your decor, even neon if that's your thing ........
IMG_20200913_102028.jpg

And stuck it to the top of the tank, I left it slightly proud then trimmed it with a scalpel.
IMG_20200913_100712.jpg

And the result is this, now, obviously, at water changes I will make sure the water comes above the bottom of the tape.
IMG_20200913_101005.jpg

That's a great idea with 3mm tape. My new tank has no strip on the bottom & it's gonna annoy me... I can feel it :rofl:

Reactions: kwi

Most reactions

trending

Back