General Forum Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

vanalisa

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I have a feeling I am missing something when I post replies. Questions such as how does one "quote" something specific on a long thread, how long ago is too long to reply to a thread, what is a sticky topic, and other questions. Is there a forum navigation article somewhere? Step by step instructions? This is only my 2nd online forum ever. I am familiar with word processing, but behind on my internet compuer skills. Thanks.

I have created a you tube account just for the purpose of transferring videos to the forum so I'm doing what I can so far...

There are no instructions on how to use the forum, most of us learn by trial and error. There is a sticky laying out some rules for using the forum https://www.fishforums.net/threads/forum-signature-other-rules.422935/ but this lays down what is expected of users rather than how to use the forum.

To answer some of your questions:

To quote part of someone's post, highlight the part you want to quote and a black box will appear under it. Click on Reply and a reply box will will appear with the higlighted sentence at the beginning. Just type the rest of what you want to say.

quoting.jpg
Be careful not to touch the [ ] that appear round the words at the beginning and end of the quote or your reply will be inside the quote too.

A sticky topic is a topic that has some important content. As more threads are started, the older ones drop to page 2, then page 3 etc. Sticky posts remain at the top of the first page so they can easily be found and referred to. Often stickies have been locked so that new posts cannot be made in the thread; these have a padlock symbol in the title line.

Posting in old posts is a bit vague. If you have a problem, start a new thread rather than adding to an old thread with with a similar problem. It is better not to add a reply to a thread where the last reply is more than a year ago as the person who started the thread may well no longer use the forum, start a new thread instead

Any more questions, just ask :)

There are no instructions on how to use the forum, most of us learn by trial and error. There is a sticky laying out some rules for using the forum https://www.fishforums.net/threads/forum-signature-other-rules.422935/ but this lays down what is expected of users rather than how to use the forum.

To answer some of your questions:

To quote part of someone's post, highlight the part you want to quote and a black box will appear under it. Click on Reply and a reply box will will appear with the higlighted sentence at the beginning. Just type the rest of what you want to say.

View attachment 97326
Be careful not to touch the [ ] that appear round the words at the beginning and end of the quote or your reply will be inside the quote too.

A sticky topic is a topic that has some important content. As more threads are started, the older ones drop to page 2, then page 3 etc. Sticky posts remain at the top of the first page so they can easily be found and referred to. Often stickies have been locked so that new posts cannot be made in the thread; these have a padlock symbol in the title line.

Posting in old posts is a bit vague. If you have a problem, start a new thread rather than adding to an old thread with with a similar problem. It is better not to add a reply to a thread where the last reply is more than a year ago as the person who started the thread may well no longer use the forum, start a new thread instead

Any more questions, just ask :)
Okay, thanks for the link, very helpful.
Clearly I need to specify my edits as they are almost exclusively for grammar and spelling.

Also, when it comes to doing you tube I will probably review that part. Too much time on forum leads to less time with th tanks!

So kind of you to help, Thanks.
Oh, one other question. What about "Likes."
...is there a 1/2 like or a double like? Teehre Just kidding, but I feel like I am excessivly liking.

Clearly I need to specify my edits as they are almost exclusively for grammar and spelling.
If you edit a post within 5 minutes of submitting it, there will be no reference to the fact you have done an edit. After 5 minutes, there will be a sentence at the end of the post saying Last edited at.... In these instances I usually type at the end of the post
"Edited for spelling corrections" (or whatever).

If you edit a post within 5 minutes of submitting it, there will be no reference to the fact you have done an edit. After 5 minutes, there will be a sentence at the end of the post saying Last edited at.... In these instances I usually type at the end of the post
"Edited for spelling corrections" (or whatever).
Perfect. I shy away from "preview" for proofreading, something about the 2 copies is confusing. So I tend to proofread right away.
Yay!

Hey, I think I'm doing this now. Yay!

It was a bit complicated when I first joined, you’ll learn how to get around. :)

If you just want to post a quick reply and to quote someone “quicker” just click the “reply” button”. If you want a full on long post, hit the “Quote” button. I usually just proof read my posts before I post them, I never use the “preview” button. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back